Menu

a food "near" disaster....how would you fix it??

ProudGrandma

Last night because I was in a super duper hurry, I threw together a pasta, hamburger, cheese and tomato sauce dish.  It turned out bland and dry, even though I added spices and onions.   There is a lot left and I need to "fix it" to make it more enjoyable.  There is melted cheese on top....so mixing it all up might be an issue while it's cold....but I am willing to do nearly anything.  Thanks. 

Is it under-salted? I would start by adding some sort of liquid (maybe broth?) and a little salt (though maybe just broth if it was a salted broth), tasting as I went, and then adding more spices and onion if that wasn’t enough. It would require stirring it all up, but lots of casseroles have cheese in the middle instead of or in addition to on top.

3 hours ago, regentrude said:

Add more liquid - sauce, wine, cream -  and some spice, spread in a baking pan, bake it in the oven with extra cheese on top. That's how we used to rescue old noodles when I was growing up.

Cream makes everything better!

I fixed it....I added a lot of cream...some cream cheese, oregano, Italian Seasoning, chili powder and salt.  Topped it with those fried onion things.  It tasted a lot better.  Now, the left overs will have over cooked pasta (having cooked it already twice)...but it will at least taste better.   THANKS for saving my supper. 

• Like 1

what kind of cheese?

pasticcio is fabulous - calls for parmesian -you could add the spices and more pureed canned tomatoes.  cinnamon, cloves, garlic . . . . maybe when I'm well I'll make one . . . . it uses uses eggs as a binder for the pasta - but you could still do a topping of béchamel sauce.