Menu

Are there any good, downloadable memory songs for lower grades?

StaceyinLA

My dd has a daughter (6) who is likely gifted. She memorizes things like nobody’s business. Dd has another dd, 4, and an extremely demanding toddler son. Because of that, she feels that she isn’t offering enough in the way of education/mental stimulation for her 6yo. She’s not trying to push/overdo, but is thinking maybe just some educational songs with facts she can memorize.

Since no one really owns a CD player, she’s wondering if there are things like this that can be downloaded and played on a phone or iPad.

Anyone know of anything or have any suggestions? She doesn’t really want apps per se because she isn’t wanting to fill the void with screen time. She does have a few educational things on her iPad already.

Thank you! I’ll tell my daughter to look. She has a special place for Spotify, since we joke with her that they “sponsored” her wedding! 😜

She had her wedding playlist made and didn’t pay for the no-ad version, so right in the middle of dancing, we’d get a big, loud, Spotify ad. I doubt we will ever let her live it down!

• Haha 2

I don't know if you are still looking but we really like the Scratch Garden videos on Youtube. Lots of different topics, catchy songs. "Salamander is not a Number" is just part of our family culture now. I like the skip counting videos they put out too because they aren't all stilted rhymes or raps. It is just skip counting to a steady beat. That's just what I prefer, ymmv. The Water Cycle video is one I hear ds(7) singing while he's playing.

On 1/12/2020 at 3:26 PM, StaceyinLA said:

My dd has a daughter (6) who is likely gifted. She memorizes things like nobody’s business. Dd has another dd, 4, and an extremely demanding toddler son. Because of that, she feels that she isn’t offering enough in the way of education/mental stimulation for her 6yo. She’s not trying to push/overdo, but is thinking maybe just some educational songs with facts she can memorize.

Since no one really owns a CD player, she’s wondering if there are things like this that can be downloaded and played on a phone or iPad.

Anyone know of anything or have any suggestions? She doesn’t really want apps per se because she isn’t wanting to fill the void with screen time. She does have a few educational things on her iPad already.

I would actually recommend buying a cheap CD player (this is what we did). I strongly dislike my kids having access to screens, esp when I am not around. A CD player solves that problem. Plus, if she has access to a good library system, there are so many audiobooks on CD. I dont know if Kathy Troxel's songs are downloadable, but they are on CD. The geography CD is good (the updated one, where it divides Africa into sections). 

My son was 6 when we got the Story of the World audiobooks on CD for him. He loved them and has listened to them all at least 4x through each. 

What I love about listening to things is that my kids would always build stuff (blocks, legos, etc) while listening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Kathy Troxel - Audio Memory Geography songs

Apple Music Store

Google Play Music

I had completely forgotten about those until @annegables mentioned them. They do come as downloadable mp3s.

Thanks for doing that work for me😁. I am going to be that old lady that never adapts well to new tech or apparently google search!

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2020 at 7:55 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Although I hate to tip $ their way, Classical Conversations does have apps with all of their memory songs on them by cycle last time I looked. Not a fan of CC, but some of the songs are catchy and kids seem to pick them up quickly. They have skip counting, history and everything under the sun. 

Yes, we didn't do Classical Conversations after we tried a year but I did use the timeline song, the skip counting songs, the Latin songs, the presidents song, etc. and for awhile we also did the history sentence songs.  I have the CDs. I burned them to the PC so I can play them in itunes.

Also the Kathy Troxel Geography songs. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the CD but just checked and they have the mp3 of the Audio Companion to First Language Lessons 1 & 2: https://welltrainedmind.com/p/first-language-lessons-audio-companion/  My dd loved the chants on there for grammar, she still remembers them and sings them sometimes!

I can't think of anything else other than the CD's we have - CGC has a CD with a lot of science songs.  We use Bible Study Guide for All Ages CD for Bible memory songs.  I'm sorry, I don't know if they have mp3 format available.  I would get a CD player or use a computer to play them.  My dd16 uses my Sony Discman that I've had since 1996 - it still works LOL!