Menu

Accountability Thread 12/29-1/11

Morning! No, that's not a typo. I put two weeks on this thread because I'm taking a week off of all writing starting Jan 1st-Jan 7th, resting up for intense revision work. The boys don't have school this week or next, so we might well head out into the wild, and boat and/or do some hiking to waterfalls if the weather isn't too bad. We hiked Christmas Eve and that was heaven. Almost no people at all, on only the wind and water to keep us company. Ended up writing poetry for the first time in a few months, and that was nice, too.

Today's work is much the same as last weeks: chores, groceries, writing, reading, painting. Trying to get in a comfortable routine before revisions hit. 

• Like 3

Two more days before my break. Lots to do!

House: laundry, dishes, cat boxes, bedroom, bathroom

Cooking: breakfast for dinner: eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes

Writing: query and synopsis for the first draft WIP, Beta reading comments for 150 pages, emotions course exercise and watch module 2 again, personal reading, blog post

Art: continue current picture, sketching

Boys have this week off and next week as well because I'm working and it's really, really tough to work full time at writing and school, part time out of the house, and still mostly keep my temper. So an extra week off is good for all of us right now.

• Like 2

'afternoon! 

I'm getting sick.  Argh!  But all is generally well.  We were due to start up again Jan 2., but I need more time for planning work ... on the other hand, I think the boys need more structure.  So probably some sort of soft start. 

Today I finished my "course of study" for early modern/chem for the boys & the family & made sugar cookies with younger fellow, also took a nap.  To do: some brief step sessions for me, run with boys, clean a bit, garden a bit, get dinner on, and get us to role-playing tonight.  Also: prep my character.  Younger boy is DMing the game, should be cool. 

• Like 2

Dad is in control of school today and he gave her the day off.

She did do her Bible time and she did a science experiment with me before Dad got up.

We took her to a Noon Year Eve party at our local library this morning. WOW, it was crowded!

Mini grocery shopping. 

We stay home on New Year's Eve. We usually sleep through the whole thing.

She does have school tomorrow. It starts her second semester of first grade. 

Edited by Mommyof1
  • Like 3

Morning!  And a Happy New Year to you, Accountables.  Y'all are one of the New Year's blessings. 

Today: I am definitely sick.  Boys are down a bit, we'll see how that goes.  So I need to both rest (so I recover) and get enough exercise (so I can sleep).  While lounging about in my PJs I'm knocking out school plans, will try to hit cleaning & gardening at least a bit today, boys' rooms need some attention so I'll try to get them working on that. 

The List (which may take a few days -- maybe into next week; so it's good that CritterFixer opened a two-week thread to start us off!):

• finish planning Week and Day plans, and reconcile the plans with my Course of Study notes (using Barnhill's "Put Your Homeschool on Autopilot" to scaffold this); the rest of planning is Procedure Lists (for stuff that has its own lesson plans); Lesson Plan Lists (for stuff I need to design); Organization (get stuff where I can find it, make sure we have it all, corral science & art supplies so that I can get my hands on them easily & either acquire what we're lacking or jot down stuff in the books a week or two before we need it); draft Loops (maybe try 1 week art, 2 weeks each science & history, then 1 of outdoor construction to get our "tree house" functional and the garden up & running for spring); Visualization & Implementation stage. 
  • outdoors: clean out the garden (lots of various dead stuff this time of year); find a place to plant our potted fig tree; decide on some plants to put in for a hedge; total extra credit would be cleaning out stuff near our bedroom window and planting clover seed. 
  • indoors: normal housework, follow my cleaning plan, do a bit of holiday cleaning (for 1/2/3/4/5/6 of Jan)
  • holiday notes for next year -- haven't done this yet. 
  • and sometime this week -- yearly planning for me! 
Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 2

Jean, hoping for your daughter's speedy & thorough recovery + grace & ease navigating the medical/insurance system.  And Mo1, thinking of you as your DH heads into a long chunk of work.

Critterfixer, happy New Year's hug & thanks for these threads. 

Today: keep chunking away at my list.  I've done a generous amount of planning, cleaning, garden cleaning, and napping each day so that is good.  Also, boys have kept toes in piano practice & doing some chores. 

ETA: would love to make & freeze some scones for quick breakfasts.  Since they won't be holiday scones I ought to amp them up with some whole-grain flour ...

• Like 2

Morning! 

Today DH is around & agreed that we could get dinner out tonight, so I'm focusing on the planning.  My Uber Goal is to get a working draft of the necessary procedure/lesson lists (procedure lists for stuff where we cycle through the same thing for each section, lesson plans for things that need to have different aspects in different lessons) and loops today, get some exercise, and be a decent human.  The rest of it can wait until tomorrow.  🙂 

I'm sort of overwhelmed and so am making an achievable plan here:

1. get all subjects/courses onto a chart sorted by "Open and Go", "Procedure Lists", and "Lesson Plans". 
  2. my focus this particular term is trying to stick to WTM guidelines for formal school and not make anything _more_ complicated, though I can simplify where needed.  So #2 is to simply draft procedure lists using WTM guidelines for all subjects, and make adjustments to my chart as needed. 
    1. currently on booklist: finished younger booklist and added high school level Guest Hollow resources to elder's list: next, do elder's WTM + Build Your Library + Ursa Minor (?) lists, Guest Hollow American history lists;
  3. Draft lesson plans for things that need them.  This includes assigning page numbers for history resources & lining up American and World history where needed. 
  4. Get all the plans into a notebook/notebooks I can use. 
  5. Memory Work Binder: set it up; walk through this step-by-step guide to memory work (if anyone else tries this, you'll want Day5 which is hard to find)
  6. Order supplies. 
  • Like 2

Popping in to say hello. My break from writing isn't working, but I'm sticking mostly to character profiles. Those don't count. LOL. Painting a lot, and working on some transparency exercises in preparation to paint some ghosts from one of my stories. Should be fun. 

No school for us this week either. I had planned to work this week, but won't have to, so it looks like I have the week off to paint more and get more of the character profile completed.

• Like 2

Oh, my!  Still in planning/organization.  I know it will pay off, and am also quite bored with it! 

I don't know if we'll "start school" this week or next.  A good compromise would be to fit a day in on Friday, if I can get the planning done. 

For today: keep at above planning list (younger's booklist was missing a couple of sections so I'm editing that and then getting back to finishing elder's); cut boys' hair; piano practice, piano theory, bit of reading, bit of math; basic housekeeping (15" cleaning an area, 5" straightening a room, pick up a few clutter-collecting spots, have boys work in their rooms for 5" or so, laundry away, sheets switched out, dinner made); exercise for me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

We are gonna finish getting the 3Rs done and then call it a day.  Rough day back.  

oh sweetie, hugs!  What a day.  Try to be good to yourself.  I'm sending thoughts of pencil boxes that refill themselves, pencil leads that stay sharpened and erasers that never wear down & can't be bitten off... 

• Like 2

Morning. More painting today. I finished two pieces yesterday, leaving me one to finish. But I have a couple of art exercises I want to do today--one online, and the other from a book, so I may not finish the third one until Wednesday or Thursday. 

I'm really enjoying my time off from heavy duty writing. But I'm told I have to get back to work probably starting Monday. I do feel mostly recharged and ready to tackle things, so that's good. I do have some writing related things to do today as well. I have writing exercises from module 2 in my course, and reading. Not a bad day at all. 

On Thursday, though, I've got to sit down with a new calendar and work out the next schedule and determine when we can order curriculum. Boys are about to finish math and Latin both.

• Like 2

Morning!  Today is a Great Planning Push.  Well, as much as I can manage it; the boys need: piano; exercise; some math & reading; and to be fed.  All of which takes time & perhaps a trip to the grocery store.

But still: planning, here I come! 

ETA: procedure lists/lesson plans are done for younger.  !!!  Off to do them for the older dude!!!

ETA #2: Finished older dude's!  whoo-hoo.  Nap then exercise.  🙂 

• Like 2

Last day of break here (good Lord willing).  This morning is chore-y stuff & piano, at 1:00 friends are coming over for a D&D game my younger is running. 

The world seems sort of bat-#$%* ; I'm praying & working to make spaces of grace and joy and restoration.  One of the things I really like about our larger, Monday-evening role playing group is that there are people from different sides of the spectrum -- political, religious, you name it -- having a good time together & becoming friends & helping each other out.  So for today: clean the house, work in the garden, keep boys toes in some piano/reading/math, get everybody's bodies moving, have grace. 

• Like 2

Today: a full schedule of subjects, at 50% of time on task, to ease us in.  Starting 'round 9:15, according to the plan.

Today: our school; piano; read-aloud at lunch; runs + fitness for boys; run + "ballet" for me; house cleaning; work outside some Spend at least 15" making notes for next holiday, 20" on school planning and at least 5" thinking about my MIL's upcoming birthday.  ETA: also need to get some vitamins/supplements & drugstore stuff today. 

• Like 2

Ouch! That's not a good way to start the day. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

I'm officially off my writing break today. But I still don't have my edits yet, so I think I'll work on a short story and possibly submit one that I've had sitting around to a few other magazines. Other than that, I need to clean a few things, and get ready to start school next week.

• Like 2

Hope you and yours feel better soon HSL.

Drop Dad at work.

Grocery shopping 

Did Bible time, calendar, telling time and math flashcards.

Currently at storytime at library. 

Needs to do cursive writing and read to me.

Audiobook in the car.

More shopping. 

Lunch with Dad.

Today rain. Tomorrow snow.

• Like 3

happysmileylady: thinking of you & hoping you feel better soon. 

JeaninNewcastle: hurrah!  What a milestone! 

Today: recover.  I am so burned out!  but there is stuff that needs doing.  I'm trying to work recovery time into getting-things-done and also trying to focus on the more wonderful things I'm building so that I don't feel so bogged down in minutiae. 

Today: did some exercise, watched some of SWB's YouTube videos and also listened to some of the middle-grades writing lecture while I exercised.  That was centering and helped me see what I can change.  With the hindsight granted by a couple days of 1/2-pace work I'm going to edit the plans I have so far:

1. drop elder's Writing With Skill in favor of thorough writing across the curriculum
  2. make procedure/lesson lists that reflect a focus on depth + cross-curricular writing over speed for:
    1. history: elder, younger
    2. science: elder, younger
    3. literature: elder, younger

And prepare for tomorrow (prepare art & music work, write out schedules), for next week's school, and for Monday's game night. 

• Like 2