Menu

Anyone's college kid get contacted from a college they turned down?

RootAnn

There was an article about how colleges can now recruit students who have already committed to other colleges. This led to a lot of speculation, but I just recently saw something I've not seen before.

A parent on College Confidential whose son is attending Penn State & who has been struggling a bit socially on the big campus received a post card from a college he turned down this spring. It promised to honor the admissions (merit/financial aid) package they issued to him this spring if he wants to transfer this spring or next fall. (If I remember correctly, he was slightly regretful at Thanksgiving that he hadn't accepted that college's offer but figured he'd be ok at his current college.)

Anyone else see or hear anything like this yet?

I haven't heard anything but it is an interesting change.  When I first heard about this ruling, it was on a FB group run by a college admissions counselor who was very much opposed to the change.  She suggested it would be bad for students and confusing to navigate the offers without some sort of orderly process.  

But your anecdote tells the other side, the side taken by the Justice Department in this case.  I am on the fence, but I'm thinking this will be better for students.  I am open to hearing other opinions.  Or maybe time will tell.  

I think the only thing I've specifically heard is that Reed College (if I remember correctly) offers preferential housing to students who are admitted ED.  This was the kind of thing that was banned in the past.  I think Reed is generally being more aggressive with this new freedom, to recruit students to its campus.  

• Like 1

This is something I've seen a lot of discussion and speculation about in forums for other college admissions advisors*.

The new standards for colleges will likely see more communications from colleges seeking to improve their yield. Soliciting students from previous cycles is an easy way to collect students who have already been reviewed and who would be interested in attending. 

• Like 1