Menu

Accountability Thread 12/8-12/14

Morning. First week of wild times for me--working a lot this week, trying to set reasonable goals for work, writing, school, and keeping the house from descending into anarchy.

Today's goals: make a plan for all that, grocery list, cook dinner, write school schedules, and take at least an hour to decompress with a good book this evening. I also have Beta reading (but that's fun).

Adding emotions module, 2,000 words in novel, and basic housekeeping chores.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

Happy Birthday to your dd, Jean!

Today is my last day at home until Wednesday. I have a lot to get done. Boys are already starting their schoolwork. They'll take work with them tomorrow to do at their grandparent's house. Hopefully, grandma won't decide they need a day off, because we have a full two weeks of days off coming up soon, and I really am hoping they can finish their Latin before break, and the next to last light unit for Math. Love to start with a few new things in January!

For me: laundry, dishes, cat boxes, clean bedroom and bathroom, including linens and blankets, complete the last emotion module in the course overview, cook chili, cornbread, blueberry muffins for dinner, go to the library and see if they have the book I returned to the wrong place, and return a book, 2,500 words in my first draft, continue character work for that novel, beta read three chapters, personal reading.

Caffeine first.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

Morning! 

Happy birthday to dd, Jean, and happy 18-years-of-mothering-this-dear-one to you! 

Critterfixer, I like something new to do in January's school too! 

Today, we are under the weather but time & tide wait for no woman.  So: minimal school this week (latin, greek, math, reading, memory work, piano today).  A round of house cleaning, spend 15-30 minutes planning Christmas, do my "ballet", get dinner made & kitchen picked up a bit for dh, we have role playing game tonight, get a nap, work outside 15", read something elevating/edifying. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 2

I have to work tomorrow, so I probably won't be on to post much. Boys are taking schoolwork with them to do at their Nana's, but one boy just did double school today and isn't taking anything, the stinker. The other boy isn't happy about that. 

For me: laundry, cat boxes, dishes, work, Beta read 3 chapters, character work, personal reading, and possibly 1000 words in my novel. Depends on how tired I am and if I get some time at lunch to write.

• Like 2

G'morning! 

Today is a Mental Health Day.  As in, mine.  This morning: no formal school, just piano practice for boys; for me, house cleaning .  Power is about to go out; more later ...

ETA: our emergency generator is fixed, whoo-hoo! 

to do: runs with boys; exercise for me (some strength, some aerobic, some yoga -- my pain is kicking in after a few days of low exercise and I ought to do something about it); manage generator repair stuff (simple one the repair person is here but take time); get elder DS school books onto shelves off the kitchen table area or in the living room, where they are visible and accessible; get all Christmas gift/project stuff on top of the refrigerator until a better place can be found; find and troubleshoot lights for tree; round of cleaning; dinner; prep for new mattress delivery.  For boys: piano, piano theory, a language, math, lunch read-aloud from "Our Island Story". Also, wash dog. 

• Like 2

Okay--so yesterday was less than stellar. I woke up to dry clothes, but not folded, and dirty dishes, loaded, but not washed. So basically, when everyone is gone from 6 am to 6pm (or in my case, 7pm) nothing is going to get done that didn't get done in the morning. Which is why the cat boxes were done. I did them in the morning. However, the laundry and dishes can't be done in less than an hour. So, basically, I have to go to bed every night after work, knowing I'll have all those things to do the next day and somehow find a way to not let that ride me unmercifully the next day.

Today's goals: Boys do school, and their housekeeping chores. For me: laundry, dishes, cat boxes, clean the kitchen, bake pizza, make stuffed mushrooms and deviled eggs, possibly sugar cookies if I am in a better mood after caffeine, write 2,500 words in my first draft, Beta critique some chapters, personal reading, character work. And don't scream too much.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

Morning! 

I am so cranky today.  Sigh.  Everything feels piled up, behind, and bleh.  Which is not entirely accurate (though there's a ring of truth to it!) and isn't best attitude. 

So: be kind, tolerant, and maintain a sense of humor and proportion: these are the orders of the day. 

Also: Younger DS is running his first ever D&D game this afternoon.  In, like, an hour and a half.  !!!!  The house is the sort of mess that comes of bringing in trees/re-organizing furniture for them, being sick, trying to get holiday prep done AND trying to kick off our "term" which is really a new school year set of work.  Straighten house; feed people; piano, languages, math, and runs for boys; have some healthy snacks ready to go for the visitors; don't cry (at least not much); exercise (ballet, yoga, maybe something aerobic); laundry; read Bible.  See the grace that is all around me. 

• Like 2

Morning. Busy day, but I think I can handle it.

Boys have a short day of school, art, housekeeping tasks. 

For me: laundry, dishes, cat boxes, clean the office, art, cooking steaks, fries, broccoli, lemon custard, 2,500 words in first draft, Beta read 4 chapters, personal reading, go to the bank, buy deer corn, sunflower seeds, and a gardening seed catalog. If time, purchase bed sheets and a tea kettle this evening. Must. Resist. Beautiful. Pastel. Pencils.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

Yesterday went very well on the younger-son-running-a-RPG-game front, whoo-hoo!  And housecleaning is coming along okay. 

Today is minimal school (language, math, piano); running for boys; go by nursery for some mulch and plants; continue cleaning; easy souffles for dinner with store-bought tomato soup; exercise for me; before-bed reads with boys; dig out Christmas lights, some ornaments at least. 

@Jean: what an adorable puppy!  the boys are smiling at her! 

• Like 2

Oh my, I am so muzzy-headed today; it's the cold. 

Today: finish yesterday's list (get out lights, ornaments); runs; math, languages and piano for school; piano lessons; make grocery list for DH & boys when they shop tomorrow; nap some; Christmas list -- ideally finish gift ideas and draft a general Holiday Season Plan; exercise for me; have boys spend a few minutes cleaning their rooms; boys put their laundry away. 

Total kudos/extra credit for any of this I can get done: strength/yoga for boys; sketch out a plan for teaching elder DS Greek (his online class became to stressful and too time-consuming given other goals, so now it is just us); get some plants in pots/ground; general housecleaning. 

And build joy, gratitude and grace into our day.    Doesn't that sound nice????

• Like 2

Morning! 

Tomorrow we are having people over, and then it is right into our school week, so today's dream list ...

1. (DID THIS!) Sketch out children's work plan for next week.  We ought to go a bit fast & shallow on history and -- unfortunately! -- Bible so that we can make up for this week, which was light for a variety of reasons.  Esp. I'd like to: catch us up in SoTW readings; work through 2 Bible history lessons for each boy & learn memory work (that will take a time commitment); dedicate one day principally to art and music (Thursday might be a great day for that) and include some fun stuff as well as some theory review; engage science with each boy; and keep our toes in everything else. 
    1. okay, I'm just going to sketch it out here: Monday and Wednesday, focus on the SoTW chapter and new Bible lesson, get good time on writing and squinch everything else in as I can.  Tuesday and Thursday, focus on mastering verses/memory work.  Tuesday can be science focus, Thursday art and music rounds in AM and PM, and both Tues./Thurs. review memory work throughout the day, do other subjects in quick short chunks.  Friday clean up loose ends, focus on Shakespeare and poetry if we haven't done those, work on record keeping and make notes on the week, get a rough sense of how well we're progressing through the term's work.  YAY, I did that job!!!!
  2. ( DID THIS!) Draft holiday study plans (both boys: languages -- esp. vocabulary mastery for elder, focus on establishing a routine for younger; younger needs to work on keeping his elbows up when he has to reach along the keyboard + on mastering key signatures, 2-octave scales and "inversions" and thank goodness elder knows that stuff and can help him; we ought to keep up memory work; and term break work will be art/music, which get so back-burnered here.  YAY, I've drafted holiday study plans!
  3. Get properly dressed; lights on tree; plants in pots &c; run out for some foods for the gathering, any drinks DH didn't pick up; cycle between indoor prep, outdoor prep, food prep, and homeschool stuff. 
  • Like 2