Menu

Games you played with your kids and loved: keep or toss?

PeterPan

We're getting radical this morning. I've been working on the games closet, and it seems I have:

-preschool games

-logic/thinking games

-current/future games

So ds is 11 and I have this sentimental attachment to a few of the games and am trying to sort out how radical to be. If I let the most unique ones go, will I regret it? My dd is 20, in college, so grandkids at some point might or might not happen. I do have guests come through who have kids, like we have some coming this month, a family with 3-4 kids ages 10 and under.

My thought was to keep 2-3 of the absolute most beloved for that preschool age and donate the rest. Yes? Get rid of them all? Honestly my games closet is an embarrassment, so I need to do SOMETHING, lol. And you know, I'm thinking I could move those preschool games to some high bins in another room and keep some other preschool toys there. Then it would make sense, like one space and the options are together, done.

Does that seem reasonable to you? Not far enough? :biggrin: 

Edited by PeterPan

I purge in stages usually.  I get rid of the stuff that I don’t waver much about.  And keep the ones I’m unsure about.  Then the next wave of purging, I look at them again.  I find that easier on me emotionally.

I’ve been doing kids toys and books lately.  I’ve filled up trunkfuls of stuff, and put other items back in the garage.  Next year I’ll look through what I saved and weed it down some more.

in other words, I’d save the games you are hesitating over. 🙂

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, matrips said:

in other words, I’d save the games you are hesitating over. 🙂

I like this! I can live with that.

34 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Anything with a board that folds into quarters would be out, for example, because it won't hold up to time.

Such a good point on the well made thing. That's probably what I was sensing and hadn't put into words. 

Mine are in college, and we need to go through the games over the holidays. I have a huge box of them in garage. So yes, a bit overdue.

Both of them like to have friends over and play, so we'll definitely keep some classics at their level and maybe one in the younger range.

• Like 1