Menu

Math Sense for GT program

My son has been selected for the magnet and GT programs. However his assessments are all over the place. He gets 50% at times and 80% at others. He has unpredictable patterns. I need to build up his math sense. He is a 10 year old, past the age to do Singapore math or Beast Academy books, as his curriculum is above those. What would be good books to build up math sense?

I'm not sure what you mean by "math sense."  But kids who have finished SM or BA have typically proceeded to the next books in the AoPS series: PreAlgebra and so on.  

You can also mix in some old MathCounts and AMC 8's to reinforce the skills he has learned and will learn in the next year or so.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 10:56 PM, daijobu said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "math sense."  But kids who have finished SM or BA have typically proceeded to the next books in the AoPS series: PreAlgebra and so on.  

You can also mix in some old MathCounts and AMC 8's to reinforce the skills he has learned and will learn in the next year or so.  

Thanks. He struggles with word problems.

What level is he at right now? Singapore Math has "Challenging Word Problems" books for 6th grade level. If he is into solid prealgebra territory, then, my suggestion would be to use the AOPS prealgebra book like @daijobu suggests. Also, there are the Math Olympiad books: http://store.moems.org/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4141&Category_Code=OLYMPIADBOOKS - you can get any of them to practice Word Problems.

On 12/16/2019 at 1:07 PM, mathnerd said:

What level is he at right now? Singapore Math has "Challenging Word Problems" books for 6th grade level. If he is into solid prealgebra territory, then, my suggestion would be to use the AOPS prealgebra book like @daijobu suggests. Also, there are the Math Olympiad books: http://store.moems.org/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4141&Category_Code=OLYMPIADBOOKS - you can get any of them to practice Word Problems.

He is at 7'th grade level. He does some prealgebra at home. 

On 11/26/2019 at 10:03 PM, smileyme said:

He is a 10 year old, past the age to do Singapore math or Beast Academy books, as his curriculum is above those.

10 years old is most definitely NOT past the age to do Beast Academy, especially if he is having trouble with 'math sense'. You could take a look at some of the sample workbook pages of the 5th grade workbooks here (scroll to the bottom for 5A) and see how he does with them.

• Like 3

FAN Math Process Skills in Problem Solving--those books teach bar modeling for word problems explicitly. 

The Math Equals Love blog has a lot of information on translating words into math concepts for working with word problems. Scaffolded Math and Science might as well. 

Being advanced or gifted in math doesn't always mean there aren't holes that have to be filled in--sometimes able kids do things their own way and find out later that they missed some of the formal concepts because they can find alternative and unique ways to solve a problem. My son is like that--he can bypass a LOT of algebraic work with amazing logic and plain arithmetic, which drives his tutor bonkers. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 7:33 PM, square_25 said:

What are problem solving charts? What do you mean about tackling them like numbers? An example may help me :-). 

Like drawing bar graphs, line charts venn diagrams etc. He has been doing Zaccaro's s problem solving series and it seems to have worked better with him. Older dd was better with beast academy, but my son has warmed better to Zaccaro's

Edited by smileyme

On 12/19/2019 at 10:24 PM, kbutton said:

FAN Math Process Skills in Problem Solving--those books teach bar modeling for word problems explicitly. 

The Math Equals Love blog has a lot of information on translating words into math concepts for working with word problems. Scaffolded Math and Science might as well. 

Being advanced or gifted in math doesn't always mean there aren't holes that have to be filled in--sometimes able kids do things their own way and find out later that they missed some of the formal concepts because they can find alternative and unique ways to solve a problem. My son is like that--he can bypass a LOT of algebraic work with amazing logic and plain arithmetic, which drives his tutor bonkers. 

Will try these. Agree, he has some gaps that I am trying to track.