Menu

GABA - experiences?

sangtarah

Our dd10’s psych recommended GABA and magnesium supplements for anxiety. We already use a supplement that blends 5-HTP, L-Theanine, and Passion flower, along with D3 and B6 and she takes a multivitamin.

If anyone has experience with GABA, please chime in.  I’m not sure on dosage, timing with other supplements, etc. I have done some internet searches, but it hasn’t given me much. 

Also, we have tried 2 different Magnesium supplements. Both rejected due to taste. First was Smarty Pants kids mineral complete, second was CALM kids drink mix. Any other recommendations? 

Presuming GABA the supplement (once someone on wtm wrote about GABA but meant a pharmaceutical drug Gabapentin) yes, have experience.

We have NOW brand powder—except when I just looked to try to verify what I’m about to say about taste, I cannot find it, maybe we’re out.  

Anyway my sense is it doesn’t taste bad.  Very mildly sweet such as could be added to some chamomile tea or warm whole milk with no difficulty. 

IME: start by Taking at bedtime, work up gradually on dose (it can cause sleepiness). 

***Of the things you are having her take, I want to comment that B6 (if it’s as pyridoxine form rather than P5P) causes me to have anxiety symptoms.  I do take a high dose Multi B that has B6 as P5P in it, but I am careful about forms and personally would never take B6 as pyridoxine alone after learning it caused me problems ***.  Of course everyone is different.  Also, for me except for inositol and B2, I take my B vitamins in the morning, because for me They interfere with sleep.

They interfere with sleep.

Is she able to swallow a pill ? If she is, then Neuro mag form of magnesium is best for helping emotional or brain type things so far as I know.  In addition,  I recommend that you try magnesium as Epsom salt baths and as a magnesium salt liquid or lotion that can go on the skin so that she doesn’t have to eat anything. That way taste won’t be an a factor. 

Magnesium Oil Spray - LARGE 8oz Size - EXTRA STRENGTH - 100% Pure for Less Sting - Less Itch - Natural Pain Relief & Sleep Aid - Essential Mineral Source https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0KQ9QJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yNS0DbSNFBK0W

can be put on with a back rub start with just a little as it can itch or sting especially for some reason tends to do that when one is low in magnesium. 

• Like 1

B vitamin complex (I use Country Life or Emerald both of which have the right form of  B6 as P5P for me, and are well regarded, but require swallowing) in general can help stress and anxiety, IME.  

It tends to be much easier, IMO, to swallow a pill in a thicker substance rather than water (such as cottage cheese if one eats dairy). It is also possible to make one’s own gummy bears—but hard to disguise bad tasting vitamins, so swallowing can be easier. 

Alphabreaths: The ABCs of Mindful Breathing https://www.amazon.com/dp/1683641973/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_90S0DbTAGZWQS

something like this could also help 

if she’s older Willard also has books (and YouTubes) more suited to older kids/teens/whole families

In the when to let kids fail thread TRE came up, and I’m wondering if that might help kids as well as adults, but have no knowledge 

EMDR can help kids. 

dudeling had very bad anxiety.

we tried PharmaGABA first under direction of his ND (natural form.)  it's expensive.  I switched to GABA (synthetic) - helped, but not nearly enough.  (however, I got dh to start taking it . . . . )

we've also done theanine.  wasn't enough by itself either.

I have him on magmind - which is magnesium threonate and supports cognition.  and a cal-mag.  Epsom salt baths are also a good way of getting magnesium because it is absorbed through the skin.

what works for him  ..   (His ND wants the combination, as they work in tandem.)

2  @  300mg capsules of Jarrow (or pure encapsulations - their price doubled before coming back down, so I switched.) ashwagandha.  they have 7% withaniloids - most brands only have 1% or 2% so you need more for the same effect.    (I had to really search to find out what the percentage was. PE is right on the label.)

1  @  200 mg capsule of Bacopa monerii  (pure encapsulations).  (I'm currently trying this one.  available on S&S.)

he takes both 2x per day (though this other brand of bacopa could probably be 1X)

I've also added the theanine back in so he gets it too.

for my high cortisol (spit test, not blood)  caused anxiety (partly menopause, partly me)

1 @ 300mg ashwagandha

1 @ 200 L-theanine

1 -  relora

4 X perday, or more if needed.

for a good combo, I would recommend "source naturals theanine serine". It has theanine, GABA, magnesium, relora, Holy Basil leaf (I fall into a very small group that can't have it.)

one thing that does wonders for anxiety - is yoga.  at least 3x per week.  helps with my hot flashes too.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pen said:

***Of the things you are having her take, I want to comment that B6 (if it’s as pyridoxine form rather than P5P) causes me to have anxiety symptoms.  I do take a high dose Multi B that has B6 as P5P in it, but I am careful about forms and personally would never take B6 as pyridoxine alone after learning it caused me problems ***.  

this.

if the multi has cyanocobalimin as its form of B12 - I would find a different multi.   

I'm also a real stickler about the molecular forms of vitamins and minerals.   - and if the label doesn't tell the form . . . . I don't waste my money.  

49 minutes ago, Pen said:

B vitamin complex (I use Country Life or Emerald both of which have the right form of  B6 as P5P for me, and are well regarded, but require swallowing) in general can help stress and anxiety, IME.  

It tends to be much easier, IMO, to swallow a pill in a thicker substance rather than water (such as cottage cheese if one eats dairy). It is also possible to make one’s own gummy bears—but hard to disguise bad tasting vitamins, so swallowing can be easier. 

Emerald laboratories is a capsule - you can open it and sprinkle it on food.

and yes, the first thing I've done for stress/anxiety is a really good B-complex.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Emerald laboratories is a capsule - you can open it and sprinkle it on food.

and yes, the first thing I've done for stress/anxiety is a really good B-complex.

That’s true.  Both of the B complexes I mentioned are capsules, and could be opened.  But I think they may not taste good?  (Or rather May taste bitter bad, since some B vitamins are bitter. ???) 

Methylcobalamin / B12 can sometimes be a help too.  For some people low iron can be related to anxiety—but caution needed on iron since too much is dangerous.  (Too much anything can be dangerous, but some things have very high upper limit levels.  Iron is easier to get a toxic dose on, so most kids’ vitamins don’t have any, and then its levels can easily be too low if they don’t eat a lot of iron rich foods).   Hypoglycemia or reactive hypoglycemia and sugar intake can also relate to anxiety. 

Vitamin C at doses well above minimum RDA also can improve anxiety, depression...  

I tried to link a research article on Vitamin C and anxiety. The link won’t work, but there is research on it.  Some of which is interesting to read, IMO. 

2 hours ago, Pen said:

That’s true.  Both of the B complexes I mentioned are capsules, and could be opened.  But I think they may not taste good?  (Or rather May taste bitter bad, since some B vitamins are bitter. ???) 

Methylcobalamin / B12 can sometimes be a help too.  For some people low iron can be related to anxiety—but caution needed on iron since too much is dangerous.  (Too much anything can be dangerous, but some things have very high upper limit levels.  Iron is easier to get a toxic dose on, so most kids’ vitamins don’t have any, and then its levels can easily be too low if they don’t eat a lot of iron rich foods).   Hypoglycemia or reactive hypoglycemia and sugar intake can also relate to anxiety. 

Vitamin C at doses well above minimum RDA also can improve anxiety, depression...  

I tried to link a research article on Vitamin C and anxiety. The link won’t work, but there is research on it.  Some of which is interesting to read, IMO. 

D3 is another one often over looked.   minimum blood levels are now considered as >50 but are often much lower.  the USRDA was set eaons ago, back when they thought it was all about bones and teeth -most notably rickets. rickets is a risk when D3 levels fall below 7. . . . . . 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sangtarah said:

Our dd10’s psych recommended GABA and magnesium supplements for anxiety. We already use a supplement that blends 5-HTP, L-Theanine, and Passion flower, along with D3 and B6 and she takes a multivitamin.

If anyone has experience with GABA, please chime in.  I’m not sure on dosage, timing with other supplements, etc. I have done some internet searches, but it hasn’t given me much. 

Also, we have tried 2 different Magnesium supplements. Both rejected due to taste. First was Smarty Pants kids mineral complete, second was CALM kids drink mix. Any other recommendations? 

Does she take pills at all?  We use Magmind capsules-https://www.jarrow.com/product/578/MagMind

I can tell when my kids are off it.  I have 3 teens and it takes the edge off.  They take 6 capsules a day.

has her pediatrician run bloodwork to check vitamin levels?  Maybe she is deficient is something else.  

• Like 2

A lot of information to sort through. No, she doesn't swallow pills yet. 

@matrips, interesting about the Smarty Pants vitamin. We have them for everyone, but this dd won't take them - she doesn't like the taste. I've been trying other multi's for her, but haven't found one she likes yet. I don't want folic acid due to family history of MTHFR, and it's hard to find chewables without it. 

She takes extra Vitamin D3, she was low in that, but other levels were fine. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I have him on magmind - which is magnesium threonate and supports cognition.  and a cal-mag.  Epsom salt baths are also a good way of getting magnesium because it is absorbed through the skin.

Magnesium Threonate is also what I meant by NeuroMag.  

Btw, Vitamin D3 is another that can be absorbed through skin if taking pills is a problem.  Or as drops. 

51 minutes ago, sangtarah said:

A lot of information to sort through. No, she doesn't swallow pills yet. 

@matrips, interesting about the Smarty Pants vitamin. We have them for everyone, but this dd won't take them - she doesn't like the taste. I've been trying other multi's for her, but haven't found one she likes yet. I don't want folic acid due to family history of MTHFR, and it's hard to find chewables without it. 

She takes extra Vitamin D3, she was low in that, but other levels were fine. 

My son takes these:

NaturesPlus Power Teen for Him Chewable - 60 Vegetarian Tablets - Wild Berry - Multivitamin for Young Men - Promotes Muscle Growth, Strength & Endurance - Sugar Free, Vegan, Gluten-Free - 30 Servings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038M7LL8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Kq20DbJQQQ9NN

(yay, link worked!)

they have folate as the methyltetra hydrofolate form that is supposed to be ok for MTHFR.  It is chewable.  There is probably a version for girls, though I think that’s mostly just marketing to have a guy on label and skateboard to appeal to boys.  

He thinks they taste okay   Also just two is the basic dose while I think Smarty pants it was more.  And he also didn’t like Smarty Pants

However, you might also need to have a strategy of a good tasting chaser after not so tasty vitamins