Menu

Working from Home and Homeschooling

I know there are other moms out there that do this. How do you make it work for you? I’m just in a hard season and am looking to refresh things. I work 25-30 hours a week from home. Normal hours are 6-11. We try to do as much as we can when I am working. I was using Power Homeschool, but am trying to transition back to books with some online resources sprinkled in. 

7 hours ago, Slache said:

AM or PM? If AM I would prepare all of the independent work the night before, expect them to make and eat breakfast themselves and have a list of acceptable activities for when they're finished. I work less than you, if you find that relevant.

I work in the AM. That is pretty much how we are running out and then I help as needed. 

I always worked at least part time and often full time while homeschooling, and a mix of at home and at the office. Generally, I rarely tried to get any school done during the elementary years while I was working, unless it was independent reading or maybe some math problems. But lots of reading and discussing together and doing at least some math together were pretty integral to our day, so it wasn’t really possible to combine that with working. So I would work early in the morning, late at night, and when he was at activities. How early are they getting up? My son usually slept until about 8:30. So by the time he got up and got dressed, fed himself, and was ready for the day, I already had a good chunk of my work done.

Is there a reason why you are trying to have them do school at the same time as you are working and not just doing most of it with them afterwards, since you finish so early in the day? How many hours total do they spend on school each day?

• Like 1

Hi I work at home too, leaning more towards full time these days. I try to get my work done in the early morning like you but usually I need to pull some night hours as well. Days out of the house for homeschooling really throw my off. Sorry I am not helping much! Just here to say it's can be rough sometimes and hang in there. How do you want your ideal schedule to look like? If you want to spend more hands on time with them with school work, are you able to make that work during the time you're not working?

I work 25 hours a week as a tutor from my home. I see kids during after school hours so 330-7pm Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday.

I have found that trying to have my kids do any work while I'm working causes me a lot of stress. So they do their work when I am available, and then read or play outside when I am working. 

Ruth in NZ