Menu

Who is taking the PSAT tomorrow?

On 12/9/2019 at 10:40 AM, Hadley said:

I have taught an AP course in a public school, and my professional opinion is that this is all done with a bit of black magic 😬.

Yes, these exams are curved, but they are curved both up and down.  It is all an attempt to arrive at an even distribution of scores.  I will say that AP exams seem more straight-forward.  For most of them, if you know the content well, you score well.

Just a bit of unsolicited advice...With my first pancake, I had him take the PSAT every year beginning with his freshman year.  I thought it would ease his anxiety going into the exams that did matter later in high school.  He scored in the top percentile each year he took the exam.  As he took the exams each year, his anxiety grew.  He put great pressure on himself to maintain this score every test.  The result for us is a very educated and intelligent student who is struggling with terrible anxiety and perfectionism.

Do look ahead and be prepared for the exams to come in your student’s high school career.  It’s good to be prepared, but enjoy each year of high school without pressing forward to the upcoming challenge.

I so wish I knew then what I know now.

Happy homeschooling!

Good advice.  My ninth grader scored 1330 SAT in 7th Grade, and 1390 SAT in 8th grade.  We were told by an admission advisor to back off on testing.  She said chasing perfection at this point could  be detrimental in the long run.  No test or prep this year.  We will not start testing again until the end of tenth. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...