Menu

if it isn't broke, don't fix it - and yet.....

ktgrok

My name is Katie and I am a curriculum junkie. Sigh. 

We are using the Good and the Beautiful math for my 1st grader, and loving it. He's usually frustrated by math lessons because if they are too hard well, that's frustrating, but if they are too easy he gets offended and bored and angry. With this he enjoys it even when it is easy, and when he has to stop and think he grins and acts like it is a fun game and a fun challenge instead of a task to succeed or fail at. And I think he's getting some concepts that before he rushed past. So yay!

But....meanwhile my DD is doing Teaching Textbooks. She's in 4th and right on grade level. She's doing well, although sometimes gets frustrated - a perfectionist so I hear about it if she gets any wrong. But, she doesn't feel a lot of pressure from it, and even happily does the timed review which was a huge problem for her when we did CLE. In fact, I couldn't time her at all or she'd totally freak out. So going well, although I don't like not being involved in her math at all . Good and the Beautiful doesn't have a math level that high yet, so wasn't an option. But now, I just looked at Math Lessons for a Living Education, and am wishing I had done that with her. I think she'd like it, we'd be doing math together, lessons are short enough, extra character reinforcement which would be good in our house lately, etc. 

But...it would be totally ridiculous to switch her out of a math she is doing without too much complaint, that I already paid for, to get the pretty colorful one that we could do together, right? Looking at the placement test the only thing she wouldn't know for the 4th grade level test is Roman Numerals - I don't think we have covered those. (we did CLE up until now)

Edited by Ktgrok

I think you should switch. You say it’s not broken, but it sounds like it is. You aren’t happy. I hear the other math program is great. You should bring the joy to her too. “Getting by” might not feel broken, but I think you would have more than just getting by with the other program. And besides, isn’t a big part of homeschooling the relationship you get to have with your child? I think the switch will be great!

• Like 1

So far the lessons are super short - today's was ridiculously short - DD actually said, "is this it?" But, it was rounding and she just did that on TT two days ago, so was speedy. We shall see 🙂

Oh, and I ordered the language arts too, lol. 

I will be waiting to see updates from OP as to whether she/dd continue with the new math program...because that last thing I need is to switch but hey, if there is something better out there...

I just switched to CLE this year based on recommendations from this site. So far it's been OK for review. I can't see using it as our main program. So it's back to Singapore with Horizons for review.

I want a program that presents math facts like Saxon, word problems like Singapore, review like Saxon/Horizons, Roman numerals like Horizons, a variety of practice activities like Horizons, and is non-cluttered like Saxon. Which is why I have/use three math programs instead of just one.

12 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

I will be waiting to see updates from OP as to whether she/dd continue with the new math program...because that last thing I need is to switch but hey, if there is something better out there...

I just switched to CLE this year based on recommendations from this site. So far it's been OK for review. I can't see using it as our main program. So it's back to Singapore with Horizons for review.

I want a program that presents math facts like Saxon, word problems like Singapore, review like Saxon/Horizons, Roman numerals like Horizons, a variety of practice activities like Horizons, and is non-cluttered like Saxon. Which is why I have/use three math programs instead of just one.

I'll let you know!

Also, I realized last night that the first 6 weeks or something are review, hence it being so quick/easy. Partly that is to help people coming from other programs to avoid gaps, I believe. 

I will say, my favorite program so far for littles is still The Good and the Beautiful, which my younger kid is using. It's so beautifully done. But they won't release a level that catches up to my DD for a few years I think.