Menu

Changes to NACAC code of ethics - will result in changes in the college admissions process

Hoggirl

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-admissions-group-votes-to-allow-more-aggressive-student-recruiting-11569701995

There is a pop-up about subscribing, but I was able to close it?  Hope no one hits a paywall. 

This article from Forbes (though written before the NACAC vote) hypothesizes on what the changes mean.  My favorite line is about recruiting past the May 1 date - “This feels kind of like trying to court women in a bridal shop.” 😂

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brennanbarnard/2019/09/05/the-department-of-justice-aims-to-unravel-the-college-admission-market/#762e7b3740e5

• Like 1

I think it's really tough to anticipate how college practices will change in light of the removal of these parts of the NACAC code of ethics.  New practices will depend a lot on where a college is on the selectivity (what percentage they accept) and yield (what percentage of accepted students attend) spectrum. 

I expect the most change with schools who have lower yields. They are trying to fill a class and may make late offers to do so. This might mean holding some financial aid in reserve, or offering honors college to students who were on the fence, or reaching out to students who didn't complete an application. 

A student who isn't interested can say Thanks, but no thanks.

But it might be good news for students in some situations. Take the Virginia Tech scenario of higher than expected yield and a historic large freshman class.  If other colleges in the area reached out with a pot sweetener, some number of students might decide that George Mason or NC State actually was a better fit than an overfilled VT.