Menu

Have you ever travelled with you pets abroad?

Aenima

You will need to look at the laws of the country you're traveling to; the airline guidelines on pet travel (depending on size of dog, he may have to fly as baggage, not in the cabin with you); and consider the length of the trip (how long you'll be in the other country) vs. the hardships on the dog of travel. 

Depending on the country, there may or may not be quarantine rules for the dog. Almost all will require a vet exam before the flights (both directions; if you are in the US there are rules for the dog coming back, too) as well as assorted paperwork that has to be done. 

There are also limits on which dog breeds can travel, and temperatures at which they can travel (i.e, not high temps in the arriving country or layover countries). Some of that might vary with whether or not they are small enough to be in the cabin -- but a straight pet can only be in the cabin if in a dog carrier under the seat, at all times. (this is why so many circumvent the rules by falsely claiming their dog is a service dog or emotional support animal, which the airlines are getting stricter about).  So, unless it's a very small dog....it very likely will be in baggage under the plain. 

The process to drop off/pick up the dog is a little complex, also, though perhaps that varies with airline, country, etc. When we brought our dog home from Brazil, though, he had to be at the airport several hours before we had to be there (and to a different section, it's not like just walking in and dropping him off with the luggage), and then likewise for pick up we had to go to a different area (whole other building, off site)  to pick him up, after we'd gotten our luggage, through customs, etc. 

So.....yes, it can be difficult. I have a friend who routinely (a few times a year) travels between Mexico & the US -- she will bring her dog back/forth if she'll be in the visiting country for longer than 6 to 8 weeks; anything less than that, not worth the hassle and the strain on the dog. 

I hope that helps!

• Like 1

Not personally, but I have many friends who move regularly with their pets to different countries. International travel with pets can be very expensive and difficult for the animal. It really is as hard as you’ve heard, except in certain cases.  Most people I know wouldn’t do it except for a move.  And for many of them, dealing with the airlines, quarantines, expense, and worry about their pets is by far the worst part of an international move, which is saying a lot.

But in the right circumstances, it can go well and be relatively uncomplicated.

For international travel with a plane involved it is an incredible amount of work organizing it and it rarely goes smoothly from what I can see.  Two of my friends have done long work related trips/relocations with pets........more than a couple of months but less than a year. It has been stressful.  In both cases the weather was unusually hot/cold and doggie wasn’t able to travel.....both large dogs.  In one case a friend came to the airport and kept the dog until it could travel and in the other the wife stayed behind with the dog and no housing......

It's possible in case of many countries but considering general amount of rules for the pets' travelling it can be really difficult and expensive sometimes.
First of all you need to check in what type of country you're going, the rabies-controlled or rabies-free one. This is a very important thing for making easier or harder all your trip because for example if you’re traveling from the rabies-controlled country to a rabies-free country, getting past customs will be the difficult thing.
Your dog must be vaccinated and microchipped  https://petonbed.com/how-to-make-traveling-with-your-dogs-easy-and-exciting/ , have a pet passport or a special veterinary health certificate too. Check also rules about quarantine (for example, in Japan it takes 6 months!) and lists of banned breeds, some of them aren't allowed in certain countries.
If I were you, I would leave my dog with my relatives or friends but of course if this trip isn't too long 😤

Edited by Manora