Menu

Documentation for Teaching Textbooks

My son had completed Teaching Textbooks Geometry 3.0/online. I recorded a final grade and printed the Teaching Textbooks gradebook, which lists his completion and percent score for each lesson and each test.

It occurred to me that I don't have paper evidence for any of this--just the grades--as he did it all online in their system. I didn't even have him keep a good record of his paper work. Unless he needed graph paper, it was all done on scrap paper. We recycled all of it.  

Should I print the tests? I won't have his answers, though, unless I'm missing some capability. I wish I had printed those tests and also had him complete them on paper. It's going to be a lot of trouble to go back and print it all, let alone have him try to fill in answers after the course. 

How bad would it be to have just the scores? Should I print their tests before our subscription expires, in case I need to recreate his record somehow in the future?

Edited by sbgrace

You are correct- there is no way to print the tests. I contacted them to be sure last year, and their suggestion was to print a paper test, and have her take it on paper and save those, and if I needed grading help to re-take it on the computer ...

I guess it was lazy but I chose not to do this. I printed the grades, and I made up my own syllabus. I also printed the table of Contents. 

However I am not worried about it.  After Geometry (not even having taken ALg 2) her SAT score was 570 in Math which we expect to be closer to 600 after taking Algebra 2.  I feel that the SAT score stands by itself as a testament that her math education was not lacking. 

🙂 We were very happy with her score considering she doesn't like math and the long sitting for the SAT is not her strong point.  She gave educated guesses using logical thought,  on the problems she didn't know.  She said there were a large number she had not covered yet since she had not done ALg 2 yet.  But the beauty of TT is that, whatever she did cover, it really stuck with her.  

Hopefully you'll have the same outcome, or  better, with the SAT...

now if only they'd resolve this server issue

• Like 2

I don't have anyone to report to, no.

I just feel like I don't know what I'm doing as far as high school records. All I originally kept were course names, textbooks we used, grades letter/percent, and grading scale.

I have a close friend who is keeping tons of records, including work samples, I didn't think to keep. I started to worry I didn't have enough. Enough for whom? I've no clue!  But it feels like I should have kept more than I did. 

Edited by sbgrace

I think the only reasons to keep math tests and other work would be a) if you think you might pursue an accredited diploma for your homeschool later in high school b) you think you  might switch from homeschooling to a brick and mortar high school before graduation or c) an umbrella school that requires it. Keeping English papers or some lab reports is something I’ve seen recommended as something a very few colleges might ask for. 

On 9/8/2019 at 7:23 PM, RootAnn said:

You have a grade (or grades if your transcript is by semester).

That's all you need.

that may not be true depending on the college, one example happens to be St Joe's of Philadelphia.  They require course samples, course outlines, and names of textbooks for courses for homeschoolers.

It can't hurt to save more info so that you can furnish it if your children happen to apply to colleges which require such things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calming Tea said:

[O]ne example happens to be St Joe's of Philadelphia.  They require course samples, course outlines, and names of textbooks for courses for homeschoolers.

It looks like they require the below info. While it says "course outlines or syllabi", I would assume course descriptions (which generally include textbook names) would be sufficient. I will note that a combo of my school profile & course descriptions would cover their supplement form requirements. The "portfolio" line is "recommended." (With an acceptance rate above 70%, I can't imagine not including them will hurt if the student's test scores are high enough. That college is not test optional for homeschoolers although it is for others.)

Homeschool transcript from grades 9-12

• Course outlines or syllabi
  • Portfolios, graded papers and/or tests are recommended
  • A PDF icon Homeschool Supplement Form to be completed by the adult educator or homeschool program.

Your point is well-taken. There will occasionally be a college that wants more info from a home-schooled applicant. In practice, though, I do not believe they expect these items for every single class for the last three years. (Because I remember @Omma's story of the flabbergasted admissions office of one school when they walked in with binders & boxes of the requested materials.) 

Edited by RootAnn
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1