Menu

PSAT test site/proctor ?

Home school students in my area are being blocked at all schools now whether due to space limitations (private/charter) or campus rules (public) for the PSAT, AP, etc. exams. The closest test sites are hours away at a home school business/resource center. Has anyone ever approached College Board about proctoring any test as a home school group/co-op? This is so discouraging. I never had a single issue signing my kids up. 9th grade students were bumped for any 11th/10th grade students, home schooled or not. Now the 9th grade students have precedence while we have Juniors who need to take the PSAT this year.

• Sad 1

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue, which is hands down the worst thing about homeschooling.  I have not heard anyone taking the initiative you describe re: proctoring exams.  You might call the homeschool resource center you mention and ask how they received approval.  

I am also building a list of homeschool friendly testing sites here.  

15 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

About the PSAT, I'd try to get them to put the rejection in writing so that you can apply for the National Merit Scholarship with an SAT score. This might also make them more wary of barring home schoolers outright.

Is that even a possibility? Are there average scores for SAT that would qualify anywhere?

I remember reading that someone here did it? Maybe plansrme?

ETA: Googled it.

https://www.nationalmerit.org/s/1758/interior.aspx?sid=1758&gid=2&pgid=398#miss

If a Student Misses the PSAT/NMSQT® Administration

A student who does not take the PSAT/NMSQT because of illness, an emergency, or other extenuating circumstance, but meets all other requirements for NMSC program participation, may still be able to enter the competition. The student or a school official must write to NMSC as soon as possible after the PSAT/NMSQT administration to request information about procedures for alternate entry to the National Merit Scholarship Program. To be considered, a request must be postmarked no later than April 1 following the PSAT/NMSQT administration that was missed. The alternate entry request should include the name and address of the student; the contact information of the person making the request; the name and address of the student's high school; and a brief explanation of why the student missed the PSAT/NMSQT.

The earlier NMSC receives the written request, the greater the student's opportunities for meeting alternate entry requirements. Upon receiving and processing the request, NMSC will provide alternate entry materials, including instructions for program entry and a form that requires the signature of a school official.

Edited by chiguirre