Menu

What would you expect

Plagefille

What would you expect from a Musical Theater Camp based on this email? 

Congratulations! You have been cast in ____ 2019 summer camp production of _____. A cast list is attached to this email. Regardless of the role, all participants in the summer camp will have workshop opportunities in acting, singing, and dancing culminating in the musical production of _____. Please submit your payment for the camp at your earliest convenience. 

A parent meeting will be held ______ at 1:00 p.m. in the ______". Following the parent meeting, we will have our first read through of the script and sing along with the score. _____  we begin rehearsing in the Social Hall from 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. There will be no rehearsal on ______.  Rehearsals will be held every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday between the hours of 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. through the month of _____. There will be a dress rehearsal on ___&&&& and performances on _________. In order to make the most of our rehearsal time, please respond to this email with any of your conflicts so we can schedule accordingly. 

We are looking forward to a fun filled summer with you!

So, I was expecting my child to learn in workshop's and be at camp on the days specified for most of the time. After we already paid and had a parent meeting talking about likely being there for 2 hours a day or more, then I get a schedule in which my kid is only there an hour a day and no workshops. They are just working on the production. I would have never signed up if I knew she was only going for an hour a day. It is not worth my time or the money. (Which everyone paid the same amount). Because it will take 20 min each way, I can't really come home when she is there for only an hour. When I thought she was going to be there for 2 - 4 hours, it would have been fine. There are two other musical theater camps in town that tech workshops and have all kids stay for the whole time. I would have done one of those. 
Am I right to be frustrated? I seriously am thinking of asking for my money back and switching to another camp. She only went two days.

was this something you applied for?  their blurb was misleading about time - and what she'd be doing., and I would consider it false advertising.

I'd ask for my money back - and go somewhere else.  I'd also expect a to have a fight on my hands to get my money back.  misleading advertisers don't like giving refunds.

• Like 1

Oh I would be mad at this and my kids have done tons of theatre stuff.  Paid camps should be for skill building, team building and training and you would be signing up for all hours.  I would expect this format in a more regular community or youth theatre production where it was known ahead of time that not every child would be called to every rehearsal and there may or not be a participation fee.   It might depend what I paid for this opportunity and how many hours she’d be there but I would be irritated with something billed as a training camp being formatted like that.  

• Like 2

I am glad I am not the only one who found the email misleading.

This group is a community theater where actor's are non-paid, etc. In the past the summer camp was purely a paid workshop for two weeks. This is the first year they are adding a production as part of the summer camp. They advertised it as their paid summer camp that includes a production. Just seems they have ditched the camp part now.  Without the workshops, it ends up much more per hour than the other local theater camps (some of which also include productions). 

I have been attempting to contact them today, with no luck so far. Hopefully one of the three methods I tried will eventually get a response.

Well, I just spoke with the office/stage manager and I guess many other parents expressed similar concerns and so they will be offering workshops the whole time in an extra practice room. So anytime they are not needed on stage for production rehearsals, they can go do workshops. Glad to know others felt as I did.

Edited by Plagefille
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Plagefille said:

Well, I just spoke with the office/stage manager and I guess many other parents expressed similar concerns and so they will be offering workshops the whole time in an extra practice room. So anytime they are not needed on stage for production rehearsals, they can go do workshops. Glad to know others felt as I did.

Good for you (and the other parents) for being squeaky wheels.  

• Like 1