Menu

Zumdahl for block chemistry class -- questions

I am going to do chemistry with my chemistry-loving rising 9th grader next year.  We are going to be out of the country during the spring semester and I am so not into carting chemistry equipment halfway around the world, so the plan is to double up on science in the fall in order to do a yearlong course in one semester.  DS14 will then take AP Chem in either 10th or 11th grade.

My original plan was to do self-paced Honors Chemistry through CTY but OMG so expensive.  I had no idea. Plus DS really does not like video lectures.   So, DIY it is!  I have been looking at the various textbook options, not to mention WTM threads on chemistry.  I'd love some advice on the following:

(1) From what I can gather, the texts Zumdahl's World of Chemistry and Introductory Chemistry are very similar.  But am I correct in thinking that there are more supplementary materials available for World of Chemistry?

(2) I am inclined to get the Microchemistry set from QSL and align it with the text we are using.  However, I see that the Zumdahl texts also have lab manuals.  Has anyone used these (Zumdahl lab manuals)?  Are they any good?  Would I have to assemble my own lab kit to use them?

9 hours ago, JennyD said:

I am going to do chemistry with my chemistry-loving rising 9th grader next year.  We are going to be out of the country during the spring semester and I am so not into carting chemistry equipment halfway around the world, so the plan is to double up on science in the fall in order to do a yearlong course in one semester.  DS14 will then take AP Chem in either 10th or 11th grade.

My original plan was to do self-paced Honors Chemistry through CTY but OMG so expensive.  I had no idea. Plus DS really does not like video lectures.   So, DIY it is!  I have been looking at the various textbook options, not to mention WTM threads on chemistry.  I'd love some advice on the following:

(1) From what I can gather, the texts Zumdahl's World of Chemistry and Introductory Chemistry are very similar.  But am I correct in thinking that there are more supplementary materials available for World of Chemistry?

(2) I am inclined to get the Microchemistry set from QSL and align it with the text we are using.  However, I see that the Zumdahl texts also have lab manuals.  Has anyone used these (Zumdahl lab manuals)?  Are they any good?  Would I have to assemble my own lab kit to use them?

1)  There is an entire truckload of supplementary materials available for Zumdahl's chemistry books - in addition to the text, there is a seprate teacher edition, test booklet, quiz booklet, lab manual, teachers lab manual, and worksheet booklet.  This was the most organized and complete and easy-to-teach class I think I have taught in high school.  Not easy material-wise, but easy from a preparation POV because there are so many teacher helps.

2) I used the Zumdahl lab manual exclusively and I highly recommend it for these reasons:  1) It has a teacher and student edition, 2) The teacher edition not only has answers, but has solution-prep instructions, 3) Each chapter has several experiments for you to choose from, depending on what time and materials you have available, and 4) The instructions for the labs are straightforward, clear, and detailed.  I have a science degree with a minor in chemistry, but thus book is top-notch from a depth and rigor POV, and is easy for a homeschool parent with no science-background to use, as well.  If you use the Zumdahl lab manual, there is no pre-assembled kit to use and you will need to purchase your own supplies.  It was no problem to do this, and I was able to order everything from Home Training Tools, Amazon, or Carolina Biological.  You can always opt for the experiments that use fewer supplies and are simpler in order to reduce the things you need to buy.  But this course was cheaper to do than biology, actually, which surprised me.

Edited by Reefgazer
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Reefgazer said:

1)  There is an entire truckload of supplementary materials available for Zumdahl's chemistry books - in addition to the text, there is a seprate teacher edition, test booklet, quiz booklet, lab manual, teachers lab manual, and worksheet booklet.  This was the most organized and complete and easy-to-teach class I think I have taught in high school.  Not easy material-wise, but easy from a preparation POV because there are so many teacher helps.

2) I used the Zumdahl lab manual exclusively and I highly recommend it for these reasons:  1) It has a teacher and student edition, 2) The teacher edition not only has answers, but has solution-prep instructions, 3) Each chapter has several experiments for you to choose from, depending on what time and materials you have available, and 4) The instructions for the labs are straightforward, clear, and detailed.  I have a science degree with a minor in chemistry, but thus book is top-notch from a depth and rigor POV, and is easy for a homeschool parent with no science-background to use, as well.  If you use the Zumdahl lab manual, there is no pre-assembled kit to use and you will need to purchase your own supplies.  It was no problem to do this, and I was able to order everything from Home Training Tools, Amazon, or Carolina Biological.  You can always opt for the experiments that use fewer supplies and are simpler in order to reduce the things you need to buy.  But this course was cheaper to do than biology, actually, which surprised me.

This is all incredibly helpful.  Thank you so much!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Reefgazer said:

NM. I think I found them. 

Edited by cintinative

• 1 month later...