Menu

Is there any benefit to doing an AP test after a DE class or two in a subject?

Dmmetler

DD14 has taken multiple psychology classes at the college, and one of the kids on the college tour we did today mentioned that she was taking AP psychology. DD immediately asked me if the school that has agreed to let her take AP tests would have AP psych because “I’m guessing I could rock it, and it might look good to have a few AP test scores”. I suspect she is right and that she could do some targeted prep and do well on the test. I just question whether it is worth it. She is probably going to take APUG this fall just because she’s going to be working heavily on US Government and Politics anyway, and likes the idea of taking the test (she actually likes tests...I have a weird kid). 

So...worth the fee, or not? 

Not worth it, imo. Tons of kids have outstanding AP scores, she has plenty of other stuff and a few AP tests are not going to make a difference. Plus, the point of an AP class is to verify that a course taken in high school is equivalent to a college course. She is TAKING the college course, so . . . 

For a kid without other stuff going on, maybe. For a kid looking at a "we love APs!" school like UG, maybe. But I think her time is probably better spent elsewhere. 

• Like 12

Well, my dd is doing that for a class or two, mostly because we don’t know where she will be going to college and we’re thinking it’s more likely she’d get credit for the course in an out-of-state school for an AP course vs a course at the cc. But is your dd taking classes at a university or a cc? 

That does make me wonder how often colleges in another state will give credit for a cc class? Many of the in-state schools will.

DD will have a mix of CC, regional U, and Tier 1 Flagship U classes. So far, pretty much all of her schools accept equivalent classes, like General psychology, quite readily-the ones that may be harder are things like Race, Culture, and Gender studies where there is not necessarily a direct equivalent (like at some schools, Gender studies would be a separate class, or it might be a class with the same name, but in psychology vs sociology). And almost all schools accept classes for placement, even if they do not transfer all credits. She has 36 credits already and will get 6 more this summer, and will likely graduate with somewhere around 70 college credit hours, so I am not that concerned about how many transfer-the purpose has been more to keep her busy and give her a good, solid high school foundation (as a prime example, she will have taken 7-8 math classes, but that was to tick high school boxes, and no major wants both college algebra and calculus). 

FWIW, because I know you have looked at some Canadian schools also.  My son already had online College credits in areas where he took the AP so did Dd with her one AP in Calculus.  My kids are good test takers so the actual exams were easy for them after they learned about the format.  The most painful part was the writing for Ds.  That said they needed 3 AP exams/ SAT Subjects with 5’s or above 700 for the UK schools they were looking at.  They were accepted......well Ds had to turn 18 first per some policy so he was deferred at that one.  They never used that set of acceptances but they were confidence building for all of us.  No regrets.......

University of Toronto wants AP’s, but said they would accept college credits in lieu of some tests since “it would be difficult to get both”. I suspect that the Canadian “colleges” are close enough to the US Community colleges that they feel comfortable evaluating such transcripts. (Actually, U of T in some ways has been more flexible than similar tier US schools. It’s kind of nice to deal with a system that is so clean cut).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It would probably be overkill to do AP as well,  but not all universities accept DE credits. My niece homeschooled and went to Furman and she had had done DE through 2 different 4 year colleges and Furman wouldn't accept any of the credits. On the other hand, my kids did AP instead of DE and they didn't have a problem.

If she knows the colleges she wants to apply to and knows they will all take her DE classes, then no point at all. 

And as for showing her academic ability, that depends on where she is doing the dual enrollment. Our local community college is not great in most departments, and I know the Spanish and English my kids did at our co op and at home was a lot more rigorous.  Standards can vary a lot but typically doing DE at a 4 year university would show your student is capable of college work - but 2 year community colleges, not necessarily.

• Like 1