Menu

Help planning a trip!

Murphy101

My BFF and I are going to get together and decide on a vacay for just us, probably sometime in November before Thanksgiving.  I think I've narrowed it down to Cairns, Bonaire, or Okinawa? Open to other suggestions too.  I've searched for places online, but of course that is all advertising so who knows how much of it is accurate. 

Our requirements aren't much:

- warm water to swim in, must have snorkeling AND scuba diving options.

- good food nearby.  An all-inclusive would be nice, but we are just as happy to eat great food nearby off site.

- English speaking isn't a problem, bc unfortunately neither of us speak other languages or are likely to learn them that fast.

- not on a travel advisory list please.  Dh and I went to DR in April and that was a huge expensive mistake that taught me I never want to go to the DR again.  I'm sticking to a 1 rating from now on,

- not Mexico or Costa Rica, those trips are already planned.

I wish there was a travel forum other than TA for me to ask these questions.  Suggestions so I don't have to nag y'all? 

• Like 2

I do love TA, though.  Do you know that they have forums not just the reviews/listings?  Perhaps you do, but if you google, say, "Trip advisor traveler forum Bonaire" you will get to it (maybe there's a better way through their site).  Anyway, I do find by skimming those, I can weed through the 'what do I wear to Bonaire in April??" type posts and get a feel for whether the locale is a good fit.  Also, there are a lot of past threads re: favorite vacations and I search our boards better by googling this:  "  forums.welltrainedmind.com xxxxxxx "  where x = my word, ie vacation.

I hope those suggestions are helpful, sorry if not.  But, I know, wherever you go, you will have a great time...sounds awesome!!

I'm bumping in hopes of suggestions.  I had thought maybe Roatan, Honduras but November is their heaviest rain month. I thought maybe Bonaire, but I don't want to had a 20 hour layover in El Salvatore.  I had thought the Sunshine Coast, Australia, but it's stinger season in November so very limited beach options and BFF's husband says no because he wants to go with her there.  I'd hoped it'd be easier to have a snorkeling/diving vacation in November.

Bah. I may have to break down and use a travel agent.

• Like 1

If getting to Bonaire (that's one of the "ABC" islands?) requires 20 hours in El Salvador, I would avoid that routing. Probably OK, if you stay in the airport, but that's a long time to be in an airport. We have flights that connect there and I prefer that my DD not  connect there.  My preferred airport, if she has to connect, is the largest airport here in Colombia, which is Bogota's "El Dorado" airport.  Next trip, she will connect in Fort Lauderdale, which hopefully will be OK for her.

In Cairns they speak English, but if your native language is U.S. English it's a little different. I worked with a woman from Australia.

Surprised to see Okinawa on your list. A childhood and his wife were there for a convention, one or 2 years ago. If you have 1 or 2 specific questions, I will Forward them to him for you. They were not there for Diving, but if you have any non-diving questions, I will try to get answers for you.

Trip Advisor is far from perfect, however, it is the largest travel web site on the web and the only one I visit.   One needs to try to figure out which Reviews are honest ones and which ones are plants and weed out the plants if possible.

I don't understand why you are looking at a routing via El Salvador, to get to Bonaire.  But, I have not looked at the flights available on Google Flights, since I don't know where  you are originating,  so I am just going on my knowledge of Geography.   Once, many years ago, I was on a flight from Houston to Caracas that was scheduled to stop in Aruba, but the weather didn't permit us to land there and we went nonstop to Caracas, which was great for me and the other Caracas bound passengers, but probably scared the heck out of some of the Aruba bound passengers. On the way back we did stop in Aruba. I wonder if one could fly to Aruba and then connect to a flight going to Bonaire? Also, are their flights from the USA nonstop into Bonaire?

Question: Does COPA, the outstanding Panamanian flag airline, fly to Bonaire?  If so, that's a very easy connection in Tocumen Airport in Panama City.  If you have time, you might be able to tour the Canal and see other things.  Tocumen Airport is #2 on my list of places for DD to connect, after El Dorado Airport in Bogota.

• Like 2

What about Hawaii? Maybe Big Island.

Stay around Kona at a Hale Kona Kai condo, right on the ocean next to a safe lagoon between Hale Kona Kai and the Royal Kona Resort. You’d be able to get a good price, I’d think. You could do some snorkeling right there in the lagoon. Other snorkeling spots aren’t too far away where you can find sea creatures that are only found around Hawaii. The nighttime manta ray dive isn’t far either (scuba). From your lanai you might see spinner dolphins.

Most people stock up on groceries from Costco, Safeway and other grocery stores. There are also 2 farmers markets around Kona. A lot of restaurants are decently priced, too. The ABC stores sell reasonably priced snack foods, booze and kitschy stuff. If you want, you can listen to the local musicians, often for free or the price of a drink, at bars or malls. Hula shows sometimes, too.

I've been to Bonaire and it was beautiful. I'd check your flight information again because San Salvador is not a major connection point to the Caribbean. There are flights from both major airports in your state via DFW and MIA. Sometimes Copa via Panama might be cheaper if you want to connect in IAH. Panama's airport is a huge duty free mall and it's not dangerous at all.

• Like 1

We have a neighbor who goes via San Salvador, to visit her daughter in Dallas. The connection time is usually short ~one hour or so. It doesn't seem to be very "direct" for someone thinking of going to Bonaire, and I am assuming that you are in the states.   However, my suggestion of  going via COPA which would require a connection in Panama City, isn't very direct either...