Menu

7th/8th grade Science

I am looking for science for my middle two dds for next year. They will be in 7th and and 8th grades. I’d like to have them do the same science to simplify things for myself. I’d prefer Christian. Bonus points if it has an audio CD as my 7th grader is a struggling reader. She’s come a LONG way in the past year but my plan for next year already involves more reading than she’s used to and I don’t want to overwhelm her. Also, I need it to not be super teacher intensive. My DH and I are around and can be involved and help them but we have some other “stuff” that we’re dealing with right now so at least somewhat independent would be nice.

I’m looking at the new Apologia General Science for them but would like to look at other options before I decide. I asked if there was a specific science topic they’d like to learn about this year but neither of them came up with anything.  

For reference, in the past we’ve enjoyed curricula like Story of the World, Notgrass, Apologia Young Explorers, Science in the Beginning, Logic of English, IEW, Singapore Math... Next year we’re trying some new things - MFW ECC (5th and 7th grades), and Ancient History and Literature (8th and 10th grades). The younger two will be doing LLATL for English. ....just to give you an idea of our “style”. 

Edited by 2ndGenHomeschooler

My oldest really enjoyed Apologia General Science.  It was a few years ago so not the current edition.  That book really sparked an interest in science for her.  It is very readable and can be quite hands off. 

Youngest wanted something different so we used BJUP Earth Science.  We used it much like we used Apologia.  In other words, we didn't use the lab manuals.  We read through it together and discussed it.  It was okay. 

DIVE has resources for Earth Science. 

Abeka might be an interesting option too.  Remember you don't have to do all the workbooks, lab manuals, etc. 

PAC has a science mysteries set that is broken into 5 workbooks (similar to AOP LifePacs).  It is very readable, much like Apologia.  A chatty style...

I'm sure there are more out there, but those are the ones I've personally seen or used. 

• Thanks 1

Many people think that Apologia is too wordy, but my kids have all loved it and thrived on it and consider Dr. Wile to be a close personal friend LOL

I love it too - because I can hand them the book and tell them how to use it, grade their lab reports and tests, and otherwise be hands off for science from 7th grade until graduation and still be assured they've received a good science education thanks to Dr. Wile 🙂

• Thanks 1

My 8th grader is going to do The Rainbow.  It's a two year program that she's going to do in one year.

https://www.beginningspublishing.com/rainbow-junior-high-science-curriculum/ 

My DS did Exploration Education this year.  It's physical science, very hands on and independent.  The textbook is online and can be read with text-to-speech.  

https://explorationeducation.com 

• Thanks 1