Menu

Resources for Spielvogel's Western Civ--Great Courses? Other suggestions?

Has anyone coordinated Spielvogel's Western Civilization with The Great Courses Western Civ 1 and 2? If so, would you be willing to share your schedule? Lesson plans? Can you recommend anything else you liked to go along? I just made a sea change in our history plans, so I'm hoping to save some time on the front end. Thank you!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

I would also be interested, so bump!

i won’t be planning this class until DS leaves for the summer but in noodling around I found a Yale Open course that also seems to be relevant, though they of course use a different text. I’m going to try and work that one in because I’ve really liked the other Yale Open classes we’ve casually watched. 

• Like 1

We use K12's high school world history text, not Spielvogel's, with GC Foundations of Western Civ (and also with GC History of the Ancient World: A Global Perspective), so I don't know if this will be relevant to you or not. But I don't even try to coordinate the book chapters with video sessions ... I just have them read through the text and watch the videos in order and take notes and discuss with me and write a paper or two. I figure by high school they have enough background knowledge of the sweep of world history (thanks to WTM) to make sense of the info even if it's not precisely coordinated. If this was their first round through world history, I might be more picky about it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to update here and say that I ended up coordinating the TGC videos with Spielvogel myself. BUT! I also figured out how to get myself registered with Cengage as a teacher (it's a process, but they are very helpful and willing to work with homeschoolers), and that connected me to a whole bunch of teacher resources, including test banks and essay questions, and access to the MindTap for the class. So if you're looking into using Spielvogel (or any Cengage resource, really), consider contacting them to get registered as a teacher.

If you call, they'll email you a form to fill out and submit via fax (actually, I might be able to upload it here, but it's on my other laptop--I'll try later). I also included a letter stating which resource I want to use, and when they set up my account, they connected that at the same time, so it was all there waiting for me. Then they emailed me my login info. It took a little time to figure out just how to use it all, but now we're rolling. 

HTH someone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2019 at 10:57 AM, ILiveInFlipFlops said:

I just wanted to update here and say that I ended up coordinating the TGC videos with Spielvogel myself. BUT! I also figured out how to get myself registered with Cengage as a teacher (it's a process, but they are very helpful and willing to work with homeschoolers), and that connected me to a whole bunch of teacher resources, including test banks and essay questions, and access to the MindTap for the class. So if you're looking into using Spielvogel (or any Cengage resource, really), consider contacting them to get registered as a teacher.

If you call, they'll email you a form to fill out and submit via fax (actually, I might be able to upload it here, but it's on my other laptop--I'll try later). I also included a letter stating which resource I want to use, and when they set up my account, they connected that at the same time, so it was all there waiting for me. Then they emailed me my login info. It took a little time to figure out just how to use it all, but now we're rolling. 

HTH someone!

Did you have to purchase a new text for them to give you access? 

On 7/9/2019 at 11:57 AM, ILiveInFlipFlops said:

HTH someone!

I actually use several Cengage texts... this would be incredibly helpful