Menu

Help me think about this part time job

I'm asking here because I know the peeps on this forum, hopefully it won't get moved to Chat...

Our local co-op leaders have asked me to step in and help out over the summer.  This is not a paid position but the idea was pitched that it would be volunteer work for now and then in the fall we will talk about pay once we all decide if it's a fit, and what the job description should be. Right now I am doing a lot of Communications (advertising, social media, reading emails and letting them know if I see any major errors) as well as some hands-on stuff (they plan to have me show up, unlock, and open up for summer camp.) 

They now have several locations, a ton of volunteers and only two employees, as far as I know- the two of them.  It's 501C3 but they both pull a paycheck.  It's a lot for two people and I think they just need help with a lot of different things.  The areas I enjoy are both areas in which they do NOT enjoy- communications, updating social media, and they just don't have time to physically be there as much as they need to be.  

I do feel a little concerned about the job, as I'm still raising/homeschooling my daughter and I run the entire household- My husband has a VERY high stress, high profile, (and good paying) job and is unable to share any of the burden of the home, unless I'm sick or otherwise under the gun.  I NEVER ask him to do ANYTHING unless I truly need to. He always will, but due to the high stress nature of his job and very long commute, we've been able to have him have his sanity by working things out this way. 🙂 

The other thing I am concerned about is the unspecified role of the job.  If I were to get a part time job at the grocery store, or Staples or some nearby thing, I would make money and then go home.  It wouldn't be a lot of money but I would definitely have an end point.  With this job, my concern is that I will be receiving emails and texts and phone calls all the time.  During this trial run, I definitely have had phases and periods of time, where my time was not my own and sometimes it came unexpectedly.  Which would be compounded by the fact that the pay will be low and I will be taxed at 46% when you include FICA and state tax.  Hourly pay would be difficult to nail down as we will often have meetings, and back and forths with both of the leaders, and I often will have to follow up with both of them separately.  

ON the plus side, I would have flexible hours, and be doing something that I believe in, and putting "Communications and Marketing" on my resume and to the world, looks a heck of a lot nicer than "Checker at Grocery Store."  And I think they would like to turn over more to me in the future, as far as planning, organizing and such.  Most of what they want me to do is stuff I legitimately LOVE. I love communications, public relations, doing speeches and presentations, and physically being a smiling face, hands on to the community.  In the areas in which I totally stink (financial detail oriented planning and spreadsheets, website) I have been honest that I can't/won't take that on, and they are super fine with that, as those are their favorite areas.  

If you were me, Would you consider a position like this?  If so, how would you define the role so that it is clear?  And what would you ask? Salary?  Hourly?

Edited by Calming Tea

I won’t because I am looking for a job with nice employer provided insurance regardless of part time or full time. For a job like you described, I would help when free but I won’t want the obligation of it being a paid job. My kids Saturday German school is a non-profit and all the paid staff have five days a week full time job with medical benefits. Some are school teachers, accountants, lawyers and all are from full time dual income household.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Calming Tea said:

Would you consider it, if you were me? I don't need insurance 🙂

I do need insurance though because it would take the stress off my husband having to stay employed. If I have good employer insurance, my husband can look for other companies even if the employer provided health insurance plan isn’t as great.

Since I don’t drive, I rather have a full time job (even if lower end of wages) from one of the companies which has company buses stopping in front of my home. Not having to drive is already a time and gasoline saver, as well as reducing car maintenance cost.

1 hour ago, Calming Tea said:

Would you consider it, if you were me? I don't need insurance 🙂 And I don't need or want full time 

What kind of hours do you anticipate having to work?  Would you be able to be paid for responding to texts and emails outside of your work time?  Say you spent an additional 2 hours a week responding to texts/emails, would you get paid for it? Does your hourly wage take into account the taxes?  If yes to both of those, I would take it because that type of work is enjoyable (to me) and like you mentioned, it would look good on your resume.

• Like 1

I've been there/ done that and got the T-shirt. 501c3, fund development and outreach, cause that I loved. It was horrible. I supposedly worked mostly from home. There were some personality conflicts, my dd was 6-8 years old at the time, and it was 45 minutes away.

Is this just for the summer, though? For that, I would say it's a good thing to have on your resume. Homeschool isn't forever.

• Like 1

I think I would give it a whirl. The summer is a nice defined interval for giving it a try. In writing I would spell out my end date - anything after that would need to be agreed upon by x days prior to that end date. I would also be clear about any vacation time you have planned.

The summer would give you a preview of what the demands are likely to be. Don't be afraid to set your own limits or demands.

Do be prepared that if you aren't happy with how the summer goes, the whole bridge might burn, along with everything it is attached to. If you aren't counting on the co-op for completing your dd's homeschool journey that is probably ok. If you are the situation could get trickier. This "worst case scenario" thinking would have the most impact on my decision (in your case).

• Like 2

Still thinking through it..

But I think what I am going to do is spell out one or two very clear things I am willing to help with as well as explaining I am not willing to do follow-ups for communication.  So I will do all the social media stuff but if a question is posed, direct it to the founders.  And I will offer to do some more hands on physical work at the campus which also have very specific pre-determined start and end times.  

And I will not ask to be paid, for now, probably for the foreseeable future.  I am still focused on being a mom andI don't want to take on something that will distract me or stress me out, but I am willing to help and want to think about my own future.

So basically I'll do a little more volunteering, in a role that does give me experience and helps out, but not paid, and not in a way that is going to invade my whole life.

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 4

I would seriously consider the option (as you are) for the resume building experience.

I would go into it for a defined period of time, with a defined role and level of hours.   So, I would agree to do marketing and social media, but I wouldn't take on other roles.  Marketing and social media can largely be done from home, with some measure of flexibility in the schedule.  Being physically present at a facility adds a layer of complication. Thankfully your children are old enough that you don't need to be home if they were to have a sick day, etc., but confining myself to a set schedule when I'm not getting paid isn't something I would look forward to.  Your children only have a few more summers before they are gone--I would embrace the opportunity to range out into the wild open with them.  Personally, I'm already dusting off my beach bag and checking through my hiking supplies. I have waterfalls to chase!