Menu

Remediating spelling for dyslexic adult

Hello,

My daughter has dyslexia/dysgraphia and we were able to remediate it to the point where she is able to read anything with excellent comprehension. She is 26 and is struggling in the workplace because she still has difficulty reading and spelling people's names and she has problems if she is called on to write or type addresses and names quickly. She basically lives her work day in extreme stress.

I would love to find a program or any suggestions to help her get to the point where this is less of an issue. She almost has her associate degree but this is also a big reason why she is concerned about pursuing additional schooling. She had additional time and other accommodations in school that made this a little easier but she is realizing that she needs to work through this difficulty to reach more of her goals.

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated!

I cross posted this on the learning challenges board too. One additional thing I should add is that I think speed is also an issue. She was diagnosed with a processing disorder, as well when she was tested at 16 so I think part of her fear is the ability to type/write the information in a limited amount of time. When we homeschooled, she did a lot of work orally because she had extreme difficulty getting words from her brain onto paper. I think a structured practice of writing of some type would also help, Not sure how that would work or if anything like that is available?

4 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I only have a practical idea... she could keep a pad of post-it notes and ask people to please write their name/address neatly for her, then transcribe it into the computer at a slower pace when she has a free moment.  

Or have them enter it into her phone directly - either as a Note or into her address book --- or just as a voice recording/memo.

To practice, perhaps google "dictation practice" and choose a site.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is something you can remediate. I think finding a working solution like the ones suggested is her best option.

People in my ds's workplace soon realized to never ask him to be the one to take notes, minutes, or any writing that can't be thoroughly proofread before being required.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Names of people and places often have obscure spelling patterns, so even if she remediated for general spelling (which I have seen people do), I don't see that it would be especially helpful for names in particular. And many names are spelled multiple ways too (Catherine, Katherine, Kathryn etc...) Does she feel comfortable saying, "Can you spell that for me?" I think most people are used to being asked to spell their name and address. She may need to realize that this is different than regular spelling and that it's pretty normal to ask. Maybe knowing that would help to relieve some of her stress? 

• Like 1

There is a book that really helped my daughter (a 2e kiddo). She, like my husband, is dyslexic and spelling was the biggest hurdle for her.

Here is the reference: The Gift of Dyslexia, Revised and Expanded: Why Some of the Smartest People Can't Read...and How They Can Learn by Ronald D. Davis

Also your daughter might be able to work through some of the Barton method materials as an adult. Mrs. Barton's husband taught my daughter viola for years and the methods they both used to help her worked wonders.

I hope that helps. I know how much issues like this can effect self esteem and I am sorry your daughter is still struggling. :(

At your daughter's job, is she working with clients on the phone or face-to-face?  And is she doing data entry, or answering questions for existing clients?

Data entry:

If she is working with them on the phone, she can ask them to spell out their name/street name, etc.  In my job, I do this all the time - both with my clients, and as a client of other organizations.  It's very common.  As a PP has said, names often have multiple spelling options.  

If she is working with clients face-to-face, could she have them fill out a form which she enters into the computer at a later time?  If that's not feasible, could she copy their name/address from their driver's license?  Or she could ask them to spell out their name/address as needed.

Existing clients:

If on the phone, does her office have a script for identifying clients?  If not, is it possible for her to develop one whereby she asks for the easiest info (for her) first?  Such as account number?  Then look up the account and ask the client to confirm their name & DOB?

If face to face, the office should have some kind of protocol.  For example, does the client need to present ID?  She could look up the account from that.  Or the post-it note idea that a PP suggested.

I have never had anyone push back when I ask them to spell their name/address.  IME most people want their info to be accurate.

• Like 2