Menu

Psychology movie

I think there are some of us with kids who are taking Psychology this year. I've had my class watch easily 30 movies, all of them excellent as far as focusing on specific topics/issues, but for their final movie I discovered "Five Flights Up" (Diane Keaton, Morgan Freeman) and it is excellent! It highlights easily 10 Psych topics and is almost 100% clean. My students will have to view and analyze (briefly) the Psych topics they see/hear. Just wanted to share.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

Thanks. I'd be curious to hear what other movies you found useful. Or from anyone else, what movies you liked for a psychology class.

I'l love to know as well. I'm beginning to prepare some interesting high school level co-op classes to teach the next two or three years. A psychology class with weekly movies added sounds great.

• Like 1

We didn't begin using movies until Unit 8 of Myers' Psychology for AP (older edition) because my students were also taking a one-semester intensive U.S. History 2 class which involved oodles of movies. So starting in the spring here is what my students were doing in their free time...

Unit 8 (Motivation and Emotion): What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (Mood Disorders); David and Lisa; Shine (also showed students clip on YouTube with David Helfgott performing at Oscars)

Unit 9 (Developmental Psych): Temple Grandin (autism); I am Sam; On Golden Pond; Rain Man (optional); Curious Case of Benjamin Button (short story)

Unit 10 (Personality): Spellbound

Unit 11 (Testing/Intelligence): IQ

Unit 12 (Abnormal Psych): A Beautiful Mind; Benny and Joon; Canvas; Matchstick Men (I refused to use What About Bob which is a typical Psych movie)

Unit 13 (Treatment): Awakenings; Captain Newman, M.D. (book); Harvey; Stairway to Light (YouTube short film); The Snake Pit; Whirlpool (optional)

Unit 14 (Social Psychology): 12 Angry Men; Ox Bow Incident; Breakfast Club; You've Got Mail; Hitch (optional); The Blind Side; Seven Pounds

Final project movies: King of Hearts; Five Flights Up

• Like 5

Where do you find all these movies?  We're dong AP Psych this year, and movies didn't really occur to me because I am most definitely *not* a movie person.  We watched "What About Bob" a few weeks ago, just for something fun, but not really thinking about dissecting it or anything, lol.

But I know my boys would enjoy watching some of these.  I'm not up on how to get movies though.  Sometimes they stream them on Prime, but are those all more recent movies?  I'm especially interested in the older ones. Where do you find those?

In addition to the free Prime content, you can always rent a movie through Amazon. They usually cost about $2-$5 to rent. Anyone with an Amazon account can rent - you don't need to be a Prime member. If you're curious where to find a movie and how to get the best cost, the search engine "Just Watch" is really useful. It will tell you exactly where a movie is streaming for free and streaming to buy or rent and how much it costs at each place.

Edited by Farrar

2 hours ago, AFwife Claire said:

Where do you find all these movies?  We're dong AP Psych this year, and movies didn't really occur to me because I am most definitely *not* a movie person.  We watched "What About Bob" a few weeks ago, just for something fun, but not really thinking about dissecting it or anything, lol.

But I know my boys would enjoy watching some of these.  I'm not up on how to get movies though.  Sometimes they stream them on Prime, but are those all more recent movies?  I'm especially interested in the older ones. Where do you find those?

Amazon, Netflix, YouTube are my preferred go-to sites. I also bought every movie on DVDs my students could borrow instead of renting on-line.

My students said that the movies really made the Psych concepts come to life. We also used the Crash Course videos which are excellent (YouTube). The basic schedule was for the students to watch the Crash Course for the upcoming week, then read the chapters, then watch the movies.