Menu

Trunk Club! Stitch Fix! Others?

Night Elf

Anyone received any clothing boxes lately? I remember the last time we talked about it, there were several people expecting clothing from Stitch Fix or Trunk Club. Or somewhere else. I got an Amazon Prime Wardrobe box once but it just wasn't as awesome as Trunk Club or Stitch Fix where someone else picks out the clothing for you.

I just ordered a trunk for church clothes. I joined that church I visited and need more than just the few skirts I have. Lots of the women were dressed in work casual, in slacks and blouses. Some were just in cotton shirts. It was a very relaxed atmosphere. I own 3 long skirts and I don't think that's the fashion right now. In my trunk, I asked for black or tan pants, colorful blouses and a black cardigan. I have only one sweater and it's not neutral. It's a combination of black and tan so doesn't go with everything I wear. I wore it to work on Saturday with a red shirt and felt subconscious about it so took it off.

Anyway, I'm waiting for a message from my stylist. The last time I ordered a trunk was Nov. 2017! I didn't realize it was that long ago.

I recently got a Stitch Fix. I don’t care that they use algorithms, I really liked it. The clothes i’ve Gotten in my Fixes are really my go-to clothes whenever I go out of the house for any reason. And they mix well with other Fixes, too. My only problems is.... prices keep going up.  This last one was expensive, but I kept the clothes because I like them. I hate shopping for myself, I feel like I don’t have great taste, or at least I don’t do a good job picking clothes out for myself, and I really feel at a loss as to even where to shop. And I have too much going on in my life to ask around and want to learn where to shop for women my age and the kind of clothes I like. So, I guess I will suck it up and pay for the Fixes.

• Like 1

Me! I did just get three clothing subscription boxes (seriously, don’t tell my husband); one Trunk Club, one Stitch Fix, on Amazon Prime Wardrobe. I didn’t quite mean for it to happen that way but I forgot my SF had been paused only until March; I was thinking May. Since having been through breast cancer, I wanted some different clothes, including tops that I can wear with my sports bras, yet that are longer length, because I also changed my mind about not wearing leggins, jeggings or skinnies. I decided that, as long as they were dressier leggings and not exercise leggings, and as long as my tail is still covered with my top or cardigan, I would go with tight bottoms. So I ordered my Trunk with those parameters. 

This new stylist annoyed me. Her first preview included several things I explicity said I don’t want (low tops and exercise pants) and every single thing was sky-high in price. The initial preview had two jeans, which were both over $100, the second being close to $200, and a pair of Spanx Jeggings, which were $94. I also wasn’t very happy with the shoe selections, which were also too expensive. Once I rejected several of the preview items, though, she filled in with the items I wish she had put in to begin with. She added a much better selection of shoes and more tops that fit my specs perfectly. Why didn’t she just offer them to begin with?! In the end, I still spent a ghastly amount of money with TC. But I love the things I chose. 

When I got the preview with all these budget-busters, I decided to try Amazon Wardrobe, too, because I thought I was not going to end up with skinny jeans at a reasonable price. (Ultimately, I did buy the TC “less expensive” jeans, still well over $100, and the Spanx jeggings, which I totally love and am wearing right now.) So I picked some things on Amazon Prime, including a less expensive tunic-style top just like the TC one in my preview; I did end up buying this from Amazon. I also bought a terrific adjustable onyx pendant necklace by Alex & Ani, which I love. 

The main problem with Amazon Prime Wardrobe is the tediousness of trying to find what I’m looking for, and making sure it qualifies for APW! It is easy to start out looking at something prime wardrobe, but clicking through to a variation which does not qualify. I found that frustrating. But I did being able to dismiss stuff straight off that were way over budget, which my TC stylist did not do this time. 

I got an auto-shipped Stitch Fix right after I had already spent a preposterous sum on TC and APW. It was styled by my favorite stylist and I loved four of the items. One was a blue blazer, though, and was too small. But I kept a dress, an adorable polka dot blouse and a pair of slim grey trousers. Love them! But man, do I need to make sure I don’t get any more clothes for a while!

incidentally, ds19 has also gotten three SFes. He asked for this for Christmas because he doesn’t know how to pick out clothes and I’m no help. I have been really pleased with the clothes he’s gotten from SF. His first shipment also included extra items, which was really necessary, as he didn’t really have any appropriate business casual type clothes at college and needed several things like blazer, khakis, shoes, socks, belt. He looks awesomely stylish, I must say. He did say he thinks he wants to choose some clothes himself now, now that he has kind of learned from the SFes. 

• Like 2

Look over at my subscription addiction site.  They have reviews for all the clothing boxes. You might see one that fits your style better.  

If you like your long skirts that you already own, then wear them. Being in style this week yet uncomfortable is not worth it.   And the Black and Tan sweater goes with red.  Don’t worry about it.  

3 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I have no idea about fashion but excited that you are loving the new church.

Thank you! The Sunday School class I'm joining is one of older women but they were welcoming. It's for 50+ but the women there were definitely older than 50s and I'm only 51. But apparently only half the class was there so maybe they'll be more my age afterall. They also sit together for Worship so I didn't have to sit alone again. It was a lovely day so I filled out the membership form. I met a senior pastor who talked to me too and was very personable. He said he'd call this week to talk with me. I told him to leave a voicemail and a time I could talk to him as I don't usually answer my phone and he said he totally understood.

• Like 3

I tried stitch fix recently. I loved and kept one of the items, but for the rest, I just felt like "Who is this Frumpy Mom in the mirror?"

They really didn't listen to my requests. I asked for no polyester, and most of the things had a high percentage of polyester. I asked for a certain price range, and three of the items were well above it. I asked for covered arms and got sleeveless tops. I asked for a defined waist and they sent two tent-like tops (even tucked in they flared out in an unflattering way). I asked for no pants and got pants. Asked for easy care, got a dry clean only item and a handwash only item. Like....seriously? 

I decided to go through the style stuff again and give them another shot. I realized that my sense of style is more well-defined than I thought it was, and I needed to do a better job of conveying it. I also had to think about what I wanted out of Stitch Fix. Do I want someone to send basics? No, I want to shop for basics myself to get good deals and the best fit. Do I want them to keep my accessories up-to-date? Yes, because I have a smaller, more classic wardrobe and don't want to look like a dinosaur by wearing out-of-date accessories. Do I want to branch out from my usual stores? Yes, too much eShakti and Banana Republic. Also, this time rather than negatives ("Don't send X") I'm making positive statements ("Please send a date night dress and a statement necklace"). I hope that will help them or their algorithms or whatever.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quill said:

Me! I did just get three clothing subscription boxes (seriously, don’t tell my husband); one Trunk Club, one Stitch Fix, on Amazon Prime Wardrobe. I didn’t quite mean for it to happen that way but I forgot my SF had been paused only until March; I was thinking May. Since having been through breast cancer, I wanted some different clothes, including tops that I can wear with my sports bras, yet that are longer length, because I also changed my mind about not wearing leggins, jeggings or skinnies. I decided that, as long as they were dressier leggings and not exercise leggings, and as long as my tail is still covered with my top or cardigan, I would go with tight bottoms. So I ordered my Trunk with those parameters. 

This new stylist annoyed me. Her first preview included several things I explicity said I don’t want (low tops and exercise pants) and every single thing was sky-high in price. The initial preview had two jeans, which were both over $100, the second being close to $200, and a pair of Spanx Jeggings, which were $94. I also wasn’t very happy with the shoe selections, which were also too expensive. Once I rejected several of the preview items, though, she filled in with the items I wish she had put in to begin with. She added a much better selection of shoes and more tops that fit my specs perfectly. Why didn’t she just offer them to begin with?! In the end, I still spent a ghastly amount of money with TC. But I love the things I chose. 

When I got the preview with all these budget-busters, I decided to try Amazon Wardrobe, too, because I thought I was not going to end up with skinny jeans at a reasonable price. (Ultimately, I did buy the TC “less expensive” jeans, still well over $100, and the Spanx jeggings, which I totally love and am wearing right now.) So I picked some things on Amazon Prime, including a less expensive tunic-style top just like the TC one in my preview; I did end up buying this from Amazon. I also bought a terrific adjustable onyx pendant necklace by Alex & Ani, which I love. 

The main problem with Amazon Prime Wardrobe is the tediousness of trying to find what I’m looking for, and making sure it qualifies for APW! It is easy to start out looking at something prime wardrobe, but clicking through to a variation which does not qualify. I found that frustrating. But I did being able to dismiss stuff straight off that were way over budget, which my TC stylist did not do this time. 

I got an auto-shipped Stitch Fix right after I had already spent a preposterous sum on TC and APW. It was styled by my favorite stylist and I loved four of the items. One was a blue blazer, though, and was too small. But I kept a dress, an adorable polka dot blouse and a pair of slim grey trousers. Love them! But man, do I need to make sure I don’t get any more clothes for a while!

incidentally, ds19 has also gotten three SFes. He asked for this for Christmas because he doesn’t know how to pick out clothes and I’m no help. I have been really pleased with the clothes he’s gotten from SF. His first shipment also included extra items, which was really necessary, as he didn’t really have any appropriate business casual type clothes at college and needed several things like blazer, khakis, shoes, socks, belt. He looks awesomely stylish, I must say. He did say he thinks he wants to choose some clothes himself now, now that he has kind of learned from the SFes. 

I would love to see some links to the jeans, jeggings and tunics if you have time! 

4 hours ago, Dynamite5 said:

I would love to see some links to the jeans, jeggings and tunics if you have time! 

I keep trying to give you this and something keeps getting messed up and I lose my post. So I’m going to try posting them one at a time. 

These are the Spanx jeggins, which I love, from Nordstrom. https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/spanx-jean-ish-leggings/4245465?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FAll Results&color=black

These are the most expensive jeans I have ever bought, but they are really terrific. https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/good-american-good-legs-high-waist-skinny-jeans-blue-224-regular-plus-size/5096760?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FAll Results&color=blue224

Here’s the black tunic I bought from APW, though there was a similar but much more expensive tunic in my TC: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078FBVGXP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a wonderfully warm, soft and comfy tunic I got from APW. I absolutely love this and have already worn it three times. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KVR1C2Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Quill
  • Like 1