Menu

Botany For High School

11 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Here are a few past threads on this topic -- they are also linked on PAGE 5 of the big pinned thread at the top of this board: "High School Motherlode #2":

Looking for interesting Botany and/or Agricultural Science curriculum
I've updated my free Botany curriculum
Botany with a focus on hydroponics

Thank you!  I was looking at the Guesthollow course last night and thinking of just ordering the lesson plans, but was wondering if anyone had an opinion on it.  Thanks for the links!

• Like 1

I have some experience with the Guest Hollow Botany course. I am using it with a middle school age child (she's only doing the assignments within her ability) but this could definitely work for high school. I think it's rigorous enough. There are A LOT of books for it though but not all are completely necessary. Some books are used for only 1-3 weeks and some through out year. It's a balancing act to figure out which to buy and which to borrow but it's worth it to keep my cost down. 

GH Botany is also good for a more natural child or as an option for a non-math-heavy science

• Like 2

Our son is in 8th grade so this may be too easy but... I'm having him do Apologia Botany (I made up quizzes), he then reads and colors a related page in Paul Young Botany coloring book.  Once this is done then he will watch The Great Courses Plant Science: An Introduction to Botany program and read the coursebook. After all this, I plan to go to the local botanical garden and have him draw/color a few plants that he finds interesting and then find the Latin names for them. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:32 AM, Evanthe said:

Are you looking for living books or just a textbook?  (Asking because we have an entire shelf of excellent botany books, but no textbooks.). My oldest is *really* into botany.  

I an open to either option, although a textbook would be easier for me.  I am having trouble finding a dedicated botany book for high schoolers that is not geared to "gardeners" or college students.  I may go with the gardener-oriented one, and supplement with more scientific stuff if need be.

16 hours ago, alohasaunders said:

Our son is in 8th grade so this may be too easy but... I'm having him do Apologia Botany (I made up quizzes), he then reads and colors a related page in Paul Young Botany coloring book.  Once this is done then he will watch The Great Courses Plant Science: An Introduction to Botany program and read the coursebook. After all this, I plan to go to the local botanical garden and have him draw/color a few plants that he finds interesting and then find the Latin names for them. Hope this helps.

I thought the Apologia text was for elementary school, so I passed it by.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:55 AM, Ruthie in MS said:

I have some experience with the Guest Hollow Botany course. I am using it with a middle school age child (she's only doing the assignments within her ability) but this could definitely work for high school. I think it's rigorous enough. There are A LOT of books for it though but not all are completely necessary. Some books are used for only 1-3 weeks and some through out year. It's a balancing act to figure out which to buy and which to borrow but it's worth it to keep my cost down. 

GH Botany is also good for a more natural child or as an option for a non-math-heavy science

I did actually buy the GH curriculum; not sure if I will use it yet.  It was carefully curated and put together beautifully, with tons of ideas, but the cooking and artwork each week isn't what I would consider high school science, so I will likely strip most of that out if I go that route.  The spine is Botany For Dummies, which I would like to replace with a more science-oriented spine.

I've been looking for this same course.  I found a few on horticulture that were made for High School ag classes.  I'm not sure if I will buy one or not, since my focus is more botany rather than horticulture.  I've got Ellen McHenry botany, and I purchased the How Plants Work book used in GH.  I plan to buy the botany coloring book and watch the Great Courses videos.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401889522/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1KW3DPV0RORVU&psc=1

I think that book is made for high school.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

I've been looking for this same course.  I found a few on horticulture that were made for High School ag classes.  I'm not sure if I will buy one or not, since my focus is more botany rather than horticulture.  I've got Ellen McHenry botany, and I purchased the How Plants Work book used in GH.  I plan to buy the botany coloring book and watch the Great Courses videos.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401889522/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1KW3DPV0RORVU&psc=1

I think that book is made for high school.

Funny you should mention this, because I just found this on Amazon last night.  Another gorgeous book, but I agree more horticulture-ish instead of botany-ish.  After giving this a lot of thought, I am pretty sure I will need to do a lot of general biology in order to provide the underlying support for a science-heavy botany, and then save the dedicated plant stuff for the second semester.  This means I will probably use the Miller macaw text, and emphasize the plant aspect of general biology.  For example, I will go over plant cell structure (but not animal cell structure), a brief over-view of the kingdoms and Linnaean hierarchy, an abbreviated version of cellular respiration, skip topics that aren't absolutely necessary for the botany portion of the class (evolution, DNA replication, protein synthesis), and instead use the "free time" for more in-depth plant things in the second semester, extended photosynthesis experiments, and add in some of GH's wonderful resources using real books.  

• Like 2

Thanks for asking this question. I think Botany would be fantastic for my daughter next year, but hadn't thought of it before seeing this post. I like the look of GH and Botany Adventure and will probably add in the Introduction to Botany on GC.

• Like 2