Menu

Dr Hive: strep? Stomach bug? UPDATE!

mmasc

I’m trying to determine if a visit to the doctor for a strep test (or anything else) is in order. Has anyone’s DC had this?

Timeline:

Saturday morning DS10 was totally fine, even played his basketball game at noon, came home and ate pizza. By evening, he said his throat was starting to hurt. 

Sunday morning he complained of a really bad sore throat...can’t swallow water, talking like his throat hurts, etc. Low fever of about 99.8. Lies around all day, lethargic, and only has one popsicle. At 7 pm I gave him Tylenol. At 8, he gets up from the chair and moves upstairs and immediately vomits. Gets in bed  

Today: Wakes up at 5 am, vomits at 6. Vomits again at 7. No food in it at all since his tummy was empty. Hasn’t vomited since and is lying around. Had toast. Had a bit of juice. Says his throat hurts but not as bad. 

So, is this some weirdo stomach bug that starts as a 24 hour sore throat? Or strep with nausea and vomiting?

I always hate the ‘to go or not to go’ to the doctor game. 

Thanks in advance!

ETA UPDATE: I took him in to the dr today. It’s strep, not a weird stomach virus. Thanks for your input everyone!

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1

I don't think a doctor is warranted quite yet. Today he says his throat hurts "but not as bad?" Has his fever broken or spiked at all? Actually sounds like he might be 
on the upswing.
Personally, I would just keep an eye on him, make sure he can stay hydrated (due to the previous vomiting), let him rest, and make sure his fever
doesn't spike. If symptoms get worse over the next day or two, with or without a spike in temp, then perhaps I would call the doctor (or nurse line) for some
instruction. That's my two cents. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If he is not better by tomorrow, I would go for a strep test. I don't mess around with strep because of the potential heart damage (but that risk takes several days to kick in, so not trying to alarm you). Vomiting and fever are definitely symptoms or strep. Does he have the rash? Does he have speckles or red streaks in his throat?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jyhwkmama said:

If he is not better by tomorrow, I would go for a strep test. I don't mess around with strep because of the potential heart damage (but that risk takes several days to kick in, so not trying to alarm you). Vomiting and fever are definitely symptoms or strep. Does he have the rash? Does he have speckles or red streaks in his throat?

No rash, and I can’t get a good look at his throat. He’s asleep now, but I’ll try again when he wakes up.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, scrapbookbuzz said:

As for pneumonia, maybe, maybe not. Before you actually make an appointment to see the doctor, call the nurse line and see what they say.

I’ll probably call tomorrow just to see what they say. He is showing much improvement tonight. The problem with calling is that it always leads to ‘bring him in’. I kind of have to be ready to come in if I make the call.