Menu

Tybee Island/Savannah

carlosthecat

There is a lot ot see in Savannah, but you can hit some highlights and eat at a good restaurant in a day.   I woudl do a walking tour or a self guided one if you have teens. Or you could do the on/off bus tour.  We once spent 4 days doing sigh seeing in Savannah and there is plenty we did not see.  Mrs. Wilkes restaurant is  good.  

We usually go to HHI, and have only been to Tybee to see it for half a day.  However, I'm also heading to Tybee for a long weekend!  Following to see suggestions for Tybee.  I have 2 teens (one in college) and elementary age.

You could easily spend more than 1 day in Savannah, but it depends how you want to spend your time. I'm not a sit at the beach just for that sake of sitting there, but Tybee island does have a light house and a hiorical fort that are fun to explore if you don't mind walking up all the stairs. The Marine Scince center was good. There is also a big old fort between Savannah and Tybee island.

On 2/1/2019 at 2:48 PM, City Mouse said:

You could easily spend more than 1 day in Savannah, but it depends how you want to spend your time. I'm not a sit at the beach just for that sake of sitting there, but Tybee island does have a light house and a hiorical fort that are fun to explore if you don't mind walking up all the stairs. The Marine Scince center was good. There is also a big old fort between Savannah and Tybee island.

Thanks, City Mouse.  We are not sit on the beach type of people either so it is nice to hear suggestions of what to do.  The Marine Science center looks wonderful!

On 2/1/2019 at 3:01 PM, Thatboyofmine said:

For one day, I’d do the on/off bus and stop when you’re interested in something.   Stop in at Treylor Park and eat.  Stop by Savannah Candy Kitchen and get gophers and pralines.  Take a day to see Ft Pulaski and the wildlife refuge between Savannah and Tybee.  Have fun!   It’s beautiful!  

OK--the Savannah Candy Kitchen looks like that alone would make the whole trip.  LOL Thanks for the fun tip!  Ft Pulaski looks very interesting.  

On 2/1/2019 at 9:44 AM, Mbelle said:

There is a lot ot see in Savannah, but you can hit some highlights and eat at a good restaurant in a day.   I woudl do a walking tour or a self guided one if you have teens. Or you could do the on/off bus tour.  We once spent 4 days doing sigh seeing in Savannah and there is plenty we did not see.  Mrs. Wilkes restaurant is  good.  

We are considering doing a walking tour with this company  https://freetoursbyfoot.com/savannah-walking-tours/ .  Mrs. Wilkes looks great, thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 9:39 AM, carlosthecat said:

We are planning a trip to Tybee Island area, anything you would recommend?  We are planning a tour of Savannah for a day, maybe that is not enough time?  We are traveling with 3 teens.

Thanks for your help!

If you’re not from a coast, remember that tides exist. 🤣 It sounds simple, but I grew up landlocked. When I lived near Savannah, I occasionally went out to St Simon’s island and there was no beach because I’d forget that tides were real things that significantly changed the landscape. Don’t be a dufus like me. 

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

If you’re not from a coast, remember that tides exist. 🤣 It sounds simple, but I grew up landlocked. When I lived near Savannah, I occasionally went out to St Simon’s island and there was no beach because I’d forget that tides were real things that significantly changed the landscape. Don’t be a dufus like me. 

Thanks for the laugh!!🤣