Menu

Excercise machine

bethben

I am looking for an excercise machine around $500.  We have an old elliptical and are looking to either replace it or add a different machine. Yes, we use them.  I was also thinking of getting a spin bike and a peloton subscription for “classes”.  So, suggestions?

I have really liked my old Nordic track skier. (before 1998)   if maintained, they will last a very long time.  they frequently come up used.  I have better luck with pro model, and not the achiever (which supposedly lets you adjust on the fly.)   maintenance is easy.   my daughter took my first one to texas with her - and she uses it all the time.   her husband wouldn't let her use it while she was pregnant, so she's getting back to it. 

a very good quality resistance band set, with different levels of resistance, with hooks on the wall.  I need to get 1ds to put the hooks in the wall for me . . .. there are books and websites to give exercises to do with them.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I have really liked my old Nordic track skier. (before 1998)   if maintained, they will last a very long time.  they frequently come up used.  I have better luck with pro model, and not the achiever (which supposedly lets you adjust on the fly.)   maintenance is easy.   my daughter took my first one to texas with her - and she uses it all the time.   her husband wouldn't let her use it while she was pregnant, so she's getting back to it. 

a very good quality resistance band set, with different levels of resistance, with hooks on the wall.  I need to get 1ds to put the hooks in the wall for me . . .. there are books and websites to give exercises to do with them.   

Love my Nordic track skier! I’ve had it for over 20 years. The monitor just went out and I’m debating whether or not to replace it

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, May said:

If you go with a skier, look on Craig’s list or other similar sites. I’ve seen them in Goodwill for as little as $50.

I got mine at a yard sale for $7, almost brand new condition!  I also got a ProForm Elliptical free.  Someone had taken it apart, planned to move it, decided not to, and since it was already apart they said just come pick it up.  It was a $1400 machine!  I had DH go get it, spend an hour putting it together, and VOILA!  I had a free, near new, perfectly functioning Elliptical.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, May said:

If you go with a skier, look on Craig’s list or other similar sites. I’ve seen them in Goodwill for as little as $50.

there are sites to replace the ski glides (little graphite piece on the sides of the ski to help it run smoothly in the track. they wear down.   wax the sides of the skis, NEVER the bottoms)

the leather pads  under the arm pully - if it needs to be replaced, it's easy.  otherwise just oil it with household oil.

the four outside 'glide rollers' - (NEVER the drive wheels next to the flywheel).  a drop or two on the axle for each one    https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf2/51/5070/506947-nordictrack/classic_pro_users_manual.pdf?ba244c17af13b2539d885800ce58cfca

the skier will run smoother, and quieter.

Just now, gardenmom5 said:

there are sites to replace the ski glides (little graphite piece on the sides of the ski to help it run smoothly in the track. they wear down.   wax the sides of the skis, NEVER the bottoms)

the leather pads  under the arm pully - if it needs to be replaced, it's easy.  otherwise just oil it with household oil.

the four outside 'glide rollers' - (NEVER the drive wheels next to the flywheel).  a drop or two on the axle for each one    https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf2/51/5070/506947-nordictrack/classic_pro_users_manual.pdf?ba244c17af13b2539d885800ce58cfca

the skier will run smoother, and quieter.

Thank you for this! 

• Like 1

Look on Craig’s list.  Seems like there are always lots of ‘hardly used’ exercise machines there for very little upfront cost.

I got my older Healthrider at a rummage sale.  Actually, no, it was at the rummage sale but someone else had snapped it up.  He heard that I had wanted it, and so a few years later when he and his wife realized that they were ‘hardly using it’, he gave it to me to get it out of their house.  I actually do use it; it has a very gentle sliding action and both feet work together so it’s easy on my hips; plus it gives my legs, arms, and abs a real workout along with some aerobic quality.  The only thing I don’t like about it is that I can’t read while I do it, but I have Amazon prime so I set up a video and run it while I exercise.  This helps me to do it longer.

Also, I bought a really good kitchen mat, the biggest they make.  I think 6 by 3 feet.  I use that to run on place on, and it is nice for rainy days when I can’t run outside.  I *love* it.  It’s the Williams Sonoma kind, much cushier than the Costco knockoffs.  In this case, quality does count.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Look on Craig’s list.  Seems like there are always lots of ‘hardly used’ exercise machines there for very little upfront cost.

I got my older Healthrider at a rummage sale.  Actually, no, it was at the rummage sale but someone else had snapped it up.  He heard that I had wanted it, and so a few years later when he and his wife realized that they were ‘hardly using it’, he gave it to me to get it out of their house.  I actually do use it; it has a very gentle sliding action and both feet work together so it’s easy on my hips; plus it gives my legs, arms, and abs a real workout along with some aerobic quality.  The only thing I don’t like about it is that I can’t read while I do it, but I have Amazon prime so I set up a video and run it while I exercise.  This helps me to do it longer.

Also, I bought a really good kitchen mat, the biggest they make.  I think 6 by 3 feet.  I use that to run on place on, and it is nice for rainy days when I can’t run outside.  I *love* it.  It’s the Williams Sonoma kind, much cushier than the Costco knockoffs.  In this case, quality does count.

they're clothes hangers . . .

Actually cost is not a big issue in the $500 or under range.  My husband has very good company benefits that give him $500 per year (happy dance here) for fitness related items/ gym memberships(only for him) .  He bought a nice bike last year.   So, since I could use some more cardio and he could use a different machine that is different from the elliptical he does use, we have the cash.  We've had the elliptical for at least 10 years and it has been used weekly so there's a good chance he/me will use this one also.  I could use more stress relief than I get at my Crossfit gym.  I have a lot of stress.