Menu

Best history supplement ever

Sarah0000

Moveable paper historical figures. My kids watched a couple documentaries about Narmer and Khufu, assembled the figures, and are now building an ancient Egyptian temple and various buildings out of cardboard and role playing with the figures. Its been three hours and they are still going strong. Ages 4 and 7

• Like 2

I wish my kid liked these. 😞

We ended up with Toobs and Haba blocks for major architecture achievements (coliseum, pyramid, etc.)  They have been well played with, though!  Same with the kinetic sand and mini molds I found to make other pieces of architecture like the Great Wall and Taj Mahal. They were only $2 for the set at Michaels!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 6:34 AM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I believe that WTM Press also offers some historical paper figures, I feel like I just saw them on the website the other day.  

We also got a (pre-made) kit of finger puppets for Shakespeare.  That has been fun here.  

Where did you get the finger puppets and what age kids do you use them with? Is there a particular book of Shakespeare you enjoyed with kids?

15 hours ago, Sarah0000 said:

Where did you get the finger puppets and what age kids do you use them with? Is there a particular book of Shakespeare you enjoyed with kids?

Not Monica but I am plugging our FAVORITE Shakespeare resource, Leon Garfield's Shakespeare Stories 1 and 2. Around 30 pages each story, and they use a lot of original language. They are perfect for Upper Elem and middle school. 

On 1/16/2019 at 12:06 PM, HomeAgain said:

I wish my kid liked these. 😞

We ended up with Toobs and Haba blocks for major architecture achievements (coliseum, pyramid, etc.)  They have been well played with, though!  Same with the kinetic sand and mini molds I found to make other pieces of architecture like the Great Wall and Taj Mahal. They were only $2 for the set at Michaels!

We have an Ancient Egypt toob that has had so much use between our history studies and Bible studies. I have seen the molds you are talking about or something similar at Lakeshore Learning. They were a lot more than $2, so I didn't splurge on them. Wish I had found your deal. I can see where those would get a lot of use here. 

On Shakespeare, I started with sonnets around age 8. One sonnet a year. Then we moved into the comic book versions that SOTW has of some of Shakespeare's plays in the AG. Couldn't tell you the name. I just use the reading lists when I get there. And then the Shakespeare stories retold and add in movies. I want to say the first that we read straight through was upper middle school. After that we read one a year, see one play a year, and they don't always match, just whatever is available each year.