Menu

Egg incubator recommendations?

maize

Does cost matter?  I'd recommend the Brinsea - sometimes you can pick one up semi-locally for less than $200.  Brinsea makes this separate humidifying control thingie (scientific, right?) but it's so expensive.  Truth is I never had much of a problem with my Brinsea.  Now - I did buy the Little Giant long ago and had a particularly horrible hatch in August 2014, memorable because I had to kill shrink-wrapped chicks after coming home from giving birth.  I got rid of that 'bator and swore never again.  If you aren't squeamish about killing the occasional almost-hatched chick or having them drown in their shells sometimes, then the Little Giant can serve its purpose - you'll get to see chicks hatch.  

I sold my Brinsea after last season.  No matter how cool hatching is, I end up with half roosters and some unhatched eggs (last season it was uber expensive black copper marans with thick shells.)  This season I'm hoping for hens that will set.  But hatching is SO neat that sometimes it's worth the emotional turmoil - especially candling!  The best hatch I've had is out of Brinseas - I've used both the tiny classroom (Mini Eco Advance) and the Brinsea Octagon without the turner.  I thought the Octagon was the better of the two imo, but I had eggs in a classroom for the Mini Advance and an inexperienced hatcher, so ymmv.