Menu

vent warning - ARRRGGG I hate

gardenmom5

my laptop. 

dh's like "laptops only last about 3 - 5 years, how old is it?  (<3years . . :rolleyes:.)

I've been having issues with charging for awhile (and the battery is only about 1 1/2 hrs) - and hints of an issue with the graphics card. . . or maybe my eyes . .

So, I guess I'm buying a new one . . .I hate this kind of stuff. seriously hate it.

Laptop batteries are generally only good for a year when laptops had three years manufacturers warranty. They were never meant to last the life of a laptop.

If you like your laptop and don’t want to change to a new one, buying a replacement battery might be the better option. My kids’ four year old Toshiba laptops are still working as is my more than ten years old HP laptop but all the batteries can’t hold a charge anymore.

Chargers generally last less time than the device to which they are attached.  Dying chargers and:or batteries can also cause video issues with the display.  Replacing the charger would be something to try - these are readily available on Amazon. 

You may find the battery has been damaged  by the bad charger.  These are also replaceable on most laptops. 

Or.... you can start over with a new laptop. 

Edited by AK_Mom4

23 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Laptop batteries are generally only good for a year when laptops had three years manufacturers warranty. They were never meant to last the life of a laptop.

If you like your laptop and don’t want to change to a new one, buying a replacement battery might be the better option. My kids’ four year old Toshiba laptops are still working as is my more than ten years old HP laptop but all the batteries can’t hold a charge anymore.

I've replaced the charger more than once.   it's damage to the laptop (which was my fault), so that it doesn't make a good connection when it's plugged in.  1dd took it apart and fixed it as best she could without replacing a bunch of parts.   (there are advantages to geeky children.)  

it's not worth fixing.  it's a toshiba.

1ds doesn't "approve" of this one because the case itself flexes in ways cases shouldn't flex.  (way it was made.)   I bought this one because I'd tried ordering one from HP - and kept getting messages my laptop was delayed.    after a couple months of delays after it was supposed to have been delivered - I got my money back and went to costco and bought something.

I don't want to be so impetuous this time.  though I may compromise and get a 15.6 . . . . I have a 17 (good for old lady eyes), but I think i could live with the 15.6

10 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

1ds doesn't "approve" of this one because the case itself flexes in ways cases shouldn't flex.  (way it was made.)   

I don't want to be so impetuous this time.  though I may compromise and get a 15.6 . . . . I have a 17 (good for old lady eyes), but I think i could live with the 15.6

My kids’ Toshiba laptop is from the satellite series and doesn’t flex. I have dismantled and reassembled more laptops than I want to and if your case is already flexing then that’s kind of not worth it anymore to repair.

My very old HP Pavilion 17” is solidly built with a built in DVD RW drive, better than the current one that Best Buy sells. It does run windows 10 but very slowly. 

My kids newer laptops use a Type C charger. It’s easy to plug in. DS14’s 13” Asus laptop is nice but the battery charge is good for about 4hrs even if he is doing his programming homework without internet. 

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

My kids’ Toshiba laptop is from the satellite series and doesn’t flex. I have dismantled and reassembled more laptops than I want to and if your case is already flexing then that’s kind of not worth it anymore to repair.

My very old HP Pavilion 17” is solidly built with a built in DVD RW drive, better than the current one that Best Buy sells. It does run windows 10 but very slowly. 

My kids newer laptops use a Type C charger. It’s easy to plug in. DS14’s 13” Asus laptop is nice but the battery charge is good for about 4hrs even if he is doing his programming homework without internet. 

so's mine. it's 17inches - which I really like.  it flexes/bows from side to side along the back.   I liked it when it was new.   Never really used it as a tablet.   but I do like the touchscreen.  (especially when my mouse isn't working because it wants new batteries.  It's been going through them, so wondering if it needs to be replaced too.)   the ones that come with a stylus are interesting - I tried a bluetooth, and it just didn't work well. I think if I had a stylus that actually worked well in tablet mode, I'd be more likely to use tablet mode.

I'm willing to order one - unless I can find one at costco (probably not).  or whatever online site 1ds likes.  

actually, it should be good.  dh gave me plane tickets to go play with the baby.  so, I'll have a computer that works when I'm sitting in the airport - and the four hour flights.   (the plane has power outlets at each seat.)  previously - I've used my phone.

eta: 1dd and I had both returned a lenovo yoga becasue the speakers were blocked in tablet mode.   I think they've fixed that.

Edited by gardenmom5

We have so many computers that keep getting minor problems so quickly that we are now paying for a service plan.   I had a $$$ yoga that ended up with charging problems.  The battery can't be replaced at home and they charge a couple hundred just to take it and look at it, but the charging port also got bent.  Then my next one was having trouble charging and a small (like 1/2 tsp) water got on it and evidently fried the motherboard.  My current computer is an inexpensive HP that is working okay but I've only had it about a year and a half.

Most of ours are Lenova and they seem to last a while.  Dh has one that is over 10 years old and we have dd's old one that's about 11 years old but needs a new charger.   

Computers, tablets and phones -  It's so annoying how quickly they stop charging.  I haven't had a phone that charges well for more than the first 12 to 18 months.  And I don't move them around while they are charging, they sit in one place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Computers, tablets and phones -  It's so annoying how quickly they stop charging.  I haven't had a phone that charges well for more than the first 12 to 18 months.  And I don't move them around while they are charging, they sit in one place.

My husband’s iPhone 7 Plus battery was wonderful until I use his phone since my iPhone 6 died. His phone is mainly used for evening conference calls and occasional WhatsApp, so usage is about 5hrs per week on average. My phone is used about 21hrs a week on web surfing/emails (he use laptop and table), Apple maps, and playing SimCity. 

My 12.9” iPad Pro has nice battery life since it stays home. My iPad has degraded battery life because it goes with me to the library and kids activities and I use Pages and Sheets with it. 

I find my devices that fast charge the batteries dies faster than my ten year old iPod Touch that can only slow charge.

We plug our chargers to power strips with surge protectors at home and find that the library outlets might be spiking because those I sometimes charge at the library the battery dies faster using the same charger. I have the USB multimeter and the AmazonBasics charger and Target OEM chargers did as well as the Apple chargers at home. I haven’t plug that to the library table’ outlets to check.

ds went and "custom build" some possibilities. . . uh, ds, -please talk to me about what I want/use.   "you don't use it in tablet mode, so why would you want one?"

''cause I don't have a pen I can use with it in tablet mode - and there have been times I wanted one enough I ordered a bluetooth pen, but it didn't work very well.

yeah - a tradition laptop you get more for you money . . .

I am willing to compromise and do a 15.6 instead of a 17 . . . . more to choose from . . . . I seldom use the entire screen, so it should be ok.

14 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

ds went and "custom build" some possibilities. . . uh, ds, -please talk to me about what I want/use.   "you don't use it in tablet mode, so why would you want one?"

''cause I don't have a pen I can use with it in tablet mode - and there have been times I wanted one enough I ordered a bluetooth pen, but it didn't work very well.

My DS14’s Asus 2-in-1 laptop is the 13.3” model of this 15.6” one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-sandblasted-matte-black-aluminum/6077505.p?skuId=6077505

He draws with the provided Asus pen in tablet mode. It has less ports than DS13’s Lenovo laptop but it hasn’t been a problem.

• Like 1