Menu

DNA testing kit questions

ktgrok

I've done 23 and Me, the full thing with medical reports. I want to test some other family members, particularly looking for Celiac genes and some other stuff. My understanding is that if I get just the ancestry package from either 23 and Me or Ancestry.com I can put the raw data into promethease or another 3rd party website and get all the health stuff? I know how to use Promethease, I just want to be sure that the cheaper ancestry packages still have the raw health data included, just not the health reports. Is that right? And is there any big difference between the two companies? I can get either one for about $50 right now, so if cost wise they are about the same. 

The chips they use for ancestry and 23andme are different. I ran my kids with 23andme and downloaded the raw data to use on promothease, etc. My *impression* (not data, impression) was that 23andme is running more. I had myself done with a study (Genes4Good) and I will say 23andme ran more than G4G. So at least as of a year ago the 23andme, just the cheapest version, was good for downloading raw data, yes.

23andMe uses the same chip for their ancestry and health services, the raw data will be exactly the same if you order the cheaper ancestry service as if you ordered the health service, you just don't get their health interpretation unless you pay for an upgrade.

Ancestry.com uses a different chip that does not include as many health related SNP's.

Go with 23andMe ancestry service uploaded to Promethease.

• Like 2