Menu

At what age/grade do most of you stop teaching penmanship?

iamrachelle

In an ideal world I would say when a child incorporates cursive into regular school work. I was not diligent with my older children and they still print most of the time. One of my fourth graders is using cursive so much that she is becoming comfortable using it in her regular school work. When she is annoyed or has had enough she will go back to cursive.

I think for me the jury is still out on the best way to handle penmanship.

Jennie

Most likely (for me) it will vary from child to child.

My oldest is in the 4th grade, and still needs it. He's beginning to incorporate it into every day assignments -- but we're still a ways from "being there." I feel pretty confident that I'll be able to stop penmanship practice by the end of next year for him (5th grade). He is on the younger side for his grade level, as he's only been 9 for 2.5 months.

My oldest dd is in the 1st grade, and I have high hopes that we'll pretty much be done with formal penmanship practice by 4th grade. She's one of the oldest in her age/grade class level, and very talented with a pen & pencil.

My youngest ds, who is in K, turned 5 in July. He's a very active boy (has to bounce through lessons). We're still working on proper pencil grip, so I expect we'll still be doing printing next year and will do a transition to cursive in 2nd grade... and probably finish up with curisve practice in the 5th grade like my oldest ds.

I have no idea where the younger two girls will be. If Lizzie keeps holding her crayons/pencils/pens with the proper pincer grasp, I could have an easier time -- and Abby, well, she's not born yet... so we've got a few years to evaluate her progress on the issue.:lol:

You can stop having specific instruction, but you can always evaluate her penmanship in other subjects. Everything she writes, every paper in every subject, should have good penmanship. Some teachers give students two grades: 1 for content, 1 for mechanics, including penmanship.