Menu

Help me find a winter coat for DS18

cjzimmer1

DS18 loves to go for long walks(4-5 hours at a time but next year he starts college so I'm sure there will be lots of traversing around campus)), however as winter is settling in, he is finally admitting that he does get cold.  We are in the upper midwest so we can have some pretty cold winters.  He was thinking he would like a trench coat because he says his legs are what gets the coldest, however in my experience trench coats aren't all that warm.  His brother has a long Down Parka from LL Bean ( that I picked up in brand new condition from a thrift store for $20 and appeared to sell new for somewhere between $300-400).  However, that coat no longer appears to be made nor do I have that kind of budget.  I was looking at the Stadium Squall from Land's End since it's on sale for $100 today but there is so many negative reviews about how poorly the zipper functions so I'm hesitant.

So does anyone have any ideas where I can find a long men's winter coat (at minimum mid thigh but preferably knee length or longer) for cold weather and under $200.  

If he likes to move when he's outside, then something less bulky that he can layer is often more practical. Layers work for legs, too. A thin, wind/water resistant layer on top, with insulating layer underneath. 

I've lived in Canada my whole life and I've never seen a man in a long down parka, except on the sidelines of a football game. I didn't even know they made them. I don't even see all that many ladies in long down parkas. How do you even walk with all that material and bulk? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

If he likes to move when he's outside, then something less bulky that he can layer is often more practical. Layers work for legs, too. A thin, wind/water resistant layer on top, with insulating layer underneath. 

I've lived in Canada my whole life and I've never seen a man in a long down parka, except on the sidelines of a football game. I didn't even know they made them. I don't even see all that many ladies in long down parkas. How do you even walk with all that material and bulk? 

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a man in a long coat. Pretty much the only time I wear mine is when I'm standing around in the snow for long periods (like watching a ski meet) but not actually moving much. 

Most men (and women) here wear short down jackets. Long underwear or another insulating layer under warm pants for leg warmth without bulk or restriction of movement. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wintermom said:

He doesn't want to layer on his legs because he likes to go in places and gets overheated (he can take off the coat off and carry it  but taking layers off the bottom is a lot more effort).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Thank you!  I had forgotten about Eddie Bauer, it's been so long since I've bought anything from them.  While we didn't go with this option (because he decided he would also like a down coat), we did find an acceptable choice.  He went with a Tall version (even though he's not tall) since that gives him a bit more length (I and his brother wear tall coats so he could try them on for comparison to his and his dad's regular coats).  The coat he pickes was already on sale for $70 off and they have everything for 50% off today so the before tax came to about $120 which I thought was a great price for a Tall down coat.  So thank you so bunch for pointing me in this direction!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

I was looking for a duffle coat for men, but the ones I can find are already sold out.  Lands End has a nice stadium coat for men that is rated "warmest".

https://www.landsend.com/products/mens-squall-stadium-coat/id_326833?sku_0=::A6J

That was the one I was looking at that has such bad reviews on the zipper.

36 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Thank you!  I had forgotten about Eddie Bauer, it's been so long since I've bought anything from them.  While we didn't go with this option (because he decided he would also like a down coat), we did find an acceptable choice.  He went with a Tall version (even though he's not tall) since that gives him a bit more length (I and his brother wear tall coats so he could try them on for comparison to his and his dad's regular coats).  The coat he pickes was already on sale for $70 off and they have everything for 50% off today so the before tax came to about $120 which I thought was a great price for a Tall down coat.  So thank you so bunch for pointing me in this direction!

I'm glad he found one!