Menu

Genealogy people: best website?

Innisfree

Is Ancestry.com good if you aren't going to get a DNA test?

We actually have a lot of information, most lines going back to the early 19th or mid-late 18th centuries, but I'd like to try to figure out some missing bits and take some lines farther back in Britain. Is that the best website for that purpose, or are there others that would be better?

Something that would let me connect our information with research others have done would be great.

Ancestry.com is good, I think they have a free trial? Lots of records available.

Familysearch.org is the free site run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, lots of genealogy expertise and quite a few records.

Those are the main two that I use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with maize, ancestry is a great site.  and Family Search is also very useful.   others start getting specialized.

if you are near a Family History Center for The Church of Jesus Christ of latter day Saints, you can use it for free.   they have an ancestry subscription so you can access ancestry for free.   Many of the volunteer librarians have their own areas of expertise if you have questions.  there are still many things only on film or fiche - and you can order (minimal charge) it from SLC to the family history center, to go over those records.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1