Menu

Let’s play a new game...

lexi

...called Dress My Daughter 

We just joined a new swim team at a local high school. My oldest daughter (13) was invited to a dance party for her practice group (all 11-14 year old kids). That’s their swim team Christmas party. I was told it’s typically a little dressy and the girls wear dresses while the boys wear ties. 

I’m so out of touch with what’s in style. I’m assuming a knee length dress. 

But help me put please! It’s next weekend so no time to shop online. 

My daughter is slim and about average height for her age. I need ideas!

10 minutes ago, lmrich said:

Go have fun and let her try stuff on. I doubt you will find knee length - it will be way above knee length! Is she shopping in the Jr. department? I love TJ Maxx for these type events.

Yes. She just barely in the juniors department. She’s at that awkward size where she’s able to wear the largest kids size and the smallest juniors size but nothing seems to fit quite right. 

Yes I know it won’t be knee length. I meant to say a short dress - not floor length. My brain is tired and I wasn’t clear. I’m assuming floor length is too formal for this type of event. But I’m hoping to find something that’s not too terribly short. I’d also like to find something that doesn’t have all the cut outs and key holes. My daughter does not feel comfortable in those type outfits. 

Sigh. The kids department clothes all look too young and the juniors department clothes all look so old. 

I don’t think we have a TJ Max close. I’ll look. 

Never shop the juniors dept! Look for a small or xs in women’s, usually much nicer.

my 15 year old wore a dress like this in burgundy for homecoming this year.

”fit and flare” or “skater” dress seemed to be the in style

https://m.jcpenney.com/p/rabbit-rabbit-rabbit-design-short-sleeve-lace-fit-flare-dress/ppr5007771982?pTmplType=regular&catId=cat100210008&deptId=dept20000013&urlState=/g/lace-womens-dresses/N-bwo3xD1nnujcZ1z141lg&productGridView=medium&badge=new&_gl=1*x10914*_ga*YW1wLUpIeFkydnptM0lvTGNmMG9hVFdzMVc5bl9wUHo1RUdTd25IU3ZZd0FDQVNKc2pCZEoxZHlhUTdpa3lPU1I0c0U.

The patterned styles seemed popular too with a little sweater shrug or jean jacket over it

https://m.jcpenney.com/p/danny-nicole-sleeveless-lace-floral-fit-flare-dress/ppr5007688191?pTmplType=regular&catId=cat100210008&deptId=dept20000013&urlState=/g/lace-womens-dresses/N-bwo3xD1nnujcZ1z141lg&productGridView=medium&badge=fewleft&_gl=1*1s9oecf*_ga*YW1wLUpIeFkydnptM0lvTGNmMG9hVFdzMVc5bl9wUHo1RUdTd25IU3ZZd0FDQVNKc2pCZEoxZHlhUTdpa3lPU1I0c0U.

But likely any dress or shirt/ top combo will be fine. Is she in band or chorus anywhere? The typical black skirt white top combo could be used for a dance too 🙂

Edited by Hilltopmom

3 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

That's an impossibility for some.  Women's start at a 4, or if lucky, a 2.  A young teen may be in a 0, 00, or even a 000. 

How much do you want to spend on a dress?  Because if I was looking for hard to fit, I'd look first at Boden (AE and Abercrombie's dresses are horrible this year, but they run small, too).  But Boden is expensive.  Forever 21 or H&M may have something cute, but look for something with a bit of stretch built in so that it looks right on a range of sizes. Gap and Old Navy are out because their sizing is off by at least one step, making a 0 more of a 2 or 4.
I wouldn't worry about length. She can always pair a shorter dress with some cute grey leggings or tights to help with coverage.

• Like 1

Just got back from hosting a middle school dance. All the girls wore dresses that were slightly above the knees. Most wore dresses that were sleeveless but had halter tops or thick straps or cap sleeves. The skater dresses were super cute because the skirts flare when they dance. One girl wore a sweater dress which was cute on her. Shoes.... most girls wore wedges. Most of the girls had really cute hair, simple like braids up high and then loose curls below (I am really bad with hair) - most said that their big sister did it or their mom. Some girls had some sparkly bobby pins in their hair. I think just spending time with your dd getting her ready will make it reallly special.

• Like 1