Menu

Bathtub/Shower surround ideas

GailV

Okay, folks, time for another round of "help the home dec challenged figure out their house". 

We have a standard tub with shower; the walls over the tub are currently tiled with 4" tiles. Over time the grout has gotten rather gross in some areas, and now some of the tile is loose from the wall.  So,  time to rip it all down and put up ... what?  We'd sort of like to do this ourselves, partly because who even knows what the wall behind the loose tile looks like and we'd like more control over the re-drywalling that might need to take place and the timeline to do that (we've had contractors disappear for days in the middle of a job before).  Feel free to tell me why this it's a bad idea to DIY this, though -- I'm very open to any comments.

We're not big fans of the tile. 

We have 2 other bathrooms with showers in them, so this doesn't have to be done in a day. This is the kids' bathroom, and one is away at college, and the other has moved out.

Is there something we should be looking at besides "whatever is in stock at Home Depot"?

I had a bathroom remodeled about 18 mo ago and gave clear instructions on materials needing to be low maintenance. I LOVE the stuff they used. It comes in molded sheets that are patterned to mimic tile, but no grout. You cut it to fit the walls and caulk at the corners. It’s fabulous. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Well I am currently in love with the shower dh built, but it probably isn’t what you want.  It is zero entrance, angled wall, requiring no door or curtain.  But it is tile.  

Are you wanting to keep a tub?

Yes, we're keeping the tub.  It's the only tub in the house, so even though we only use it about once every 5 years, it's going to stay.

DH loves zero entrance (he has drop foot).  I would love no door or curtain because I dislike cleaning shower doors and curtains.  Someday ....

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Well I am currently in love with the shower dh built, but it probably isn’t what you want.  It is zero entrance, angled wall, requiring no door or curtain.  But it is tile.  

Are you wanting to keep a tub?

We have a shower like this - it's great! I requested it when our house was built because shower doors and curtains are such a pain.?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Selkie said:

We have a shower like this - it's great! I requested it when our house was built because shower doors and curtains are such a pain.?

I love it.  I mean I really love it.  Ours is very small.......people think it is too small until they walk in.  And I figure if dh and I can...um shower in it together it is big enough.  

My best friend built a HUGE one.......but it was too large to keep the heat in.