Menu

House plans

Scarlett

Maybe read a few of the like/dislike home threads here and see if anything sticks out to you and then evaluate the plan through those eyes.

I would think through every day activities in the plan you are looking at.....homeschooling, bringing in groceries, food storage, handling mail/paperwork, where will coats/boots go?  Is there a spot for vacuum/cleaning supplies, is laundry area set up the way you like?  Place to hang/fold clothes?

Can you tell I am super practical?

• Like 1

Just now, Ottakee said:

Maybe read a few of the like/dislike home threads here and see if anything sticks out to you and then evaluate the plan through those eyes.

I would think through every day activities in the plan you are looking at.....homeschooling, bringing in groceries, food storage, handling mail/paperwork, where will coats/boots go?  Is there a spot for vacuum/cleaning supplies, is laundry area set up the way you like?  Place to hang/fold clothes?

Can you tell I am super practical?

Right me too.  I am having a tough time though because I think by the time it gets built we might be full empty nesters.  Dss17 is talking about going to live with his aunt to attend a nearby cooking school after he graduates.  And ds18 is very likely to be married in a year.  So while we could go small, small, I am trying to think through practicalities of kids coming home to visit, grand kids some day and entertaining. Along with the big goal of staying mortgage free. 

One thing that is currently a CONSTANT  annoyance is our tiny master bathroom.  Also the country living where every trip in doors brings grass or mud.  We will be building in town and I can’t wait to have sidewalks and an attached garage.  I will feel so fancy, lol. 

I like my current open kitchen living room....and a separate laundry room.  

• Like 1

Could you build a smaller 2 bedroom ranch with a daylight/walk out basement or just egree windows so you could easily add 2 more bedrooms, a family room, and another bath down there if needed but also close it off when not used.  Also, depending in your town you might be able to rent out that extra space as an air BNB or other short term rental.....if you wanted.

19 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Could you build a smaller 2 bedroom ranch with a daylight/walk out basement or just egree windows so you could easily add 2 more bedrooms, a family room, and another bath down there if needed but also close it off when not used.  Also, depending in your town you might be able to rent out that extra space as an air BNB or other short term rental.....if you wanted.

This is the one I found from Quill's recommendation.  I thought it was just like the one we have already picked out.  It is almost like it.  A little smaller....I like this plan a lot. https://www.dongardner.com/house-plan/251/the-haversham

• Like 2

My ideal house for that point in my life would have a modest master suite and two bedrooms with Jack and Jill bathroom in a semi private location. That would allow us to easily host families (our kids’ or otherwise. One level or the two guest bedrooms upstairs. Plenty of common space for bible studies, etc. Indoor entry to basement but near backdoor so that things that need to go in and out from the basement don’t have to go through the house. A door to the backyard from the laundry room with a big wash sink for garden produce/dirty dogs. 

I have no idea about plans. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Sigh.  Dh doesn’t like the smaller version.  

Oh, well ? on him. 

When we picked the plan for the house we live in now, I had to go at it coyly. Like, “well...this one looks pretty good....but I don’t know, maybe not...” ? I think if I had said, “Oh, look at this one! It’s ABSOLUTELY PERFECT,” he probably would have nixed it just because he has a contrary streak in him. 

That’s my Mate Management Program. You’re welcome. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Quill said:

Oh, well ? on him. 

When we picked the plan for the house we live in now, I had to go at it coyly. Like, “well...this one looks pretty good....but I don’t know, maybe not...” ? I think if I had said, “Oh, look at this one! It’s ABSOLUTELY PERFECT,” he probably would have nixed it just because he has a contrary streak in him. 

That’s my Mate Management Program. You’re welcome. ?

Unfortunately he has ‘reasons’ that make sense.  Jen likes the flow of the larger one better.  

• Like 1

Love the porches! I have a home where the front door opens directly into the living room and I don’t like that. I see why he’s trying to pick the best from both! 

Here’ one of my crush houses. I’d find a way to do master bedroom suite in the back bedroom area and my 2 bedrooms with j&j in the top though: 

http://houseplans.southernliving.com/plans/SL503

Edited by SamanthaCarter

10 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Love the porches! I have a home where the front door opens directly into the living room and I don’t like that. I see why he’s trying to pick the best from both! 

Here’ one of my crush houses. I’d find a way to do master bedroom suite in the back bedroom area and my 2 bedrooms with j&j in the top though: 

http://houseplans.southernliving.com/plans/SL503

Oh that is an awesome plan.

we are sticking to one level and we have a very narrow lot to build on.  The bigger plan will work fine.....I too do not like entering straight into a living room....he has drawn me a version that creates a small entrance using part of the front porch.  

In Larger plan, the house will be flipped but the garage will not.  We want the driveway on the right side of the house and the porches on the left side.  That creates a small problem though because the covered walk way that enters straight into covered back porch won’t be placed right.....so basically we will change the laundry room to a small office with a closet ( move the closet door from inside the current nursery/office so that it is inside the laundry room turned office. Then that existing nursery will become a pass through laundry room.  Which I will like because it will creat a place for shoes and stuff as we come into the house.  

• Like 1