Menu

Kennel cough, ugh!

Toocrazy!!

We had to board our almost 7 year old dog this past weekend, and now he has a bad case of kennel cough. 

We've only had to board him one other time- different facility, years ago- but he got it then too. 

Is there anything to do for him? His cough kept us up all night and although he seems fine otherwise, he sounds pitiful. I've been doing some coconut oil which calms a coughing fit down, but I can't do that every time he coughs. 

We also lost our dog/house sitter to college and were hoping this would be a good backup plan. He has had the vaccine. I know that's good for only one strain. Is there anything else to protect him from this in the future, other than not boarding again? 

It's essentially a dog cold. There are many strains and the vaccine only protects against some of them. I've had many dogs contract KC just from going on walks where other dogs had been. So unless you totally isolate him to your own fenced yard, which is absolutely not good for mental health, then there's little you can do to prevent it. A vet can prescribe cough medicine which may or may not help. Secondary bronchitis, pneumonia, etc. can develop, so keep a watch for worsening symptoms.

He goes on walks and car rides every day and has only gotten in when boarding. He would be MISERABLE in our yard every day for sure! He loves to be on the go. 

Should we not take him on walks while he has it? I was under the impression he wouldn't transmit it unless he was playing with a dog or coughing where other dogs were close by? 

A friend manages a large doggie daycare, and they recently had to close down for a week because of kennel cough. Even though every dog is vaccinated, and they watch carefully for any sign of illness, there still were about a half a dozen dogs who got sick because one dog came to care and got very sick the next day and stayed home. Apparently they give off bugs the day before they get sick just like people. This is a top-rated facility associated with a veterinary practice, and there's really little else they could do. She said they have to shut down about once or twice a year because of this. When they do, they spend the entire week thoroughly cleaning before the dogs come back.

2 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

He goes on walks and car rides every day and has only gotten in when boarding. He would be MISERABLE in our yard every day for sure! He loves to be on the go. 

Should we not take him on walks while he has it? I was under the impression he wouldn't transmit it unless he was playing with a dog or coughing where other dogs were close by? 

Most dogs I've had haven't seemed to feel like going on walks when they were in the worst of it. I don't know the specifics of transmission, but I know for a fact I've had multiple dogs get KC who hadn't been directly exposed to other dogs within the previous week or two.

1 hour ago, Familia said:

My vet has been recommending the bordetella vaccine.  Does it prevent it or only if from a certain source?  Thoughts?

Kennel cough/bordatella is like the common cold--there are many strains. The vaccine protects against some, but not all, of them. I get it despite the fact that our dog is never boarded. It's one of those vaccines that seems to have few/no side effects, so IMO other than saving a few dollars there's no reason not to get it. But I can understand why others would hesitate to get a vaccine that only partially protects against it.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Oh, it is WAY WAY WAY more contagious than that!!!! SO contagious! If your dog coughs on a bush and another dog sniffs it they can catch it. When we had a dog diagnosed with it at the clinics we would bleach it down and then STILL not put another dog in there for a full 48 hours. It's that contagious. We generally tried to do exams in the owner's car in the parking lot because just walking through the waiting room quickly could spread it. 

Plus, exercise tends to exacerbate the cough. Stay home! 

21 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Call your vet.   In addition to the vet needing to know he has this, they can (if it is not contraindicated for Kennel Cough) give him cough medicine. 

I hope he gets through this very soon.

Yes, this. The more they cough, the more they damage the lining of the trachea, the more they cough. You want to minimize it as much as possible, and cough medication can help. And depending on how bad off he is, he may need antibiotics as well. Your vet will have an idea of what strains are going around. Also, you can run a vaporizer in the room he is in. The humid air helps. 

21 hours ago, Familia said:

My vet has been recommending the bordetella vaccine.  Does it prevent it or only if from a certain source?  Thoughts?

Only certain strains, but it is well worth doing. There is also a doggie flu vaccine now that is worth getting.