Menu

Does Anyone Do Worm Composting?

My wife set up a worm composting bin today as a project with the children in my son's nursery school coop.

I had a lot of fun helping her get the materials, and learning about "vermiculture", and evidently the kids had a great time finishing the bin.

I wondered if any other WTMers have a worm composting bin set up with their kiddos? We're only on day one, but I think this is going to be good fun.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I did this for several years. I finally stopped for two reasons. First, my worms were in the basement, so dumping out the compost involved carrying it through the house. Second, I found that in order to feed well, my worms needed their scraps chopped fine. I grew weary of saving scraps and putting them in the food processor, carrying it down, feeding the wormies, coming back up, cleaning up, etc. After about 3 years I stopped doing it, but I did enjoy watching them work. Wait until you find egg cases! It's exciting!

Ria (who really is not as geeky as that last bit sounded!)

I did this for several years. I finally stopped for two reasons. First, my worms were in the basement, so dumping out the compost involved carrying it through the house. Second, I found that in order to feed well, my worms needed their scraps chopped fine. I grew weary of saving scraps and putting them in the food processor, carrying it down, feeding the wormies, coming back up, cleaning up, etc. After about 3 years I stopped doing it, but I did enjoy watching them work. Wait until you find egg cases! It's exciting!

Ria (who really is not as geeky as that last bit sounded!)

The worm-guy I got the Red wigglers from showed me how you could even see the eggs inside the worm (the white band) and I thought that was cool.

And that worms are "hermaphrodites", so they are each male and female (although they can't impregnate themselves).

Sure it's geeky. But fun geeky :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I wondered if any other WTMers have a worm composting bin set up with their kiddos? We're only on day one, but I think this is going to be good fun.

Bill

I used to have one when I lived in CA. The day the worms arrived I set the Wormaroo up in my entrance hall. Late that night, dh found worms climbing the stairs -- nobody told me they tend to wander until they settle in. Dh made me clean them up -- the meanie! The worms lived outside after that!

~Moira

We have a Can O' Worms set up in the garage (set it up in Feb). The kids haven't been interested in it really beyond dumping the worms in there initially. Well, the second time too after the major die off. Apparently I got a little carried away in feeding them. :tongue_smilie:

We got a few thousand more and they are doing great now. They don't want to move up from the lower bin though.

Well, I would have worm bins, except my husband thought a better use for the thing (that I made) would be to store the duck's hay. And I would have compost, too, except the duck-loving spousal unit keeps digging it up so the duck can eat every last worms in the pile. :glare:

Not that I have issues here at all, no sir!

Yes, I have a worm composter and I have had it going for months at a time.

But i am not the most consistent person in the world. I have forgotten about watering and feeding my worms for weeks- which usually doesn't matter, they're tough little things - but then during summer heatwaves...umm, it does matter. Cooked worms are not pretty, although they do break down into the compost fairly quickly :)

I am sure no worms deserve me to take care of them.