Menu

Brag, but with a Purpose :-)

GoodGrief

I'm hoping that this shameless parental brag actually serves the purpose of being encouraging to those wondering if they can adequately prepare their STEM-oriented kids for a challenging college program.

My daughter (in her junior year) was recently notified that she is in the top 1/8 of the engineering class at her school. It's pretty cool, not only because her classmates are generally quite bright and hard-working, but especially considering that her science and math background was somewhat advanced, but not particularly special. She worked through Apologia physics and chemistry, doing labs at a homeschool co-op class. She did AP Biology and AP Comp Sci with PA Homeschoolers. She used Teaching Textbooks through Alg 2, then Derek Owens for precalc and Calc AB, followed by Calc 2 and 3 at our local college. No math or science extracurriculars during high school; she was more sports and music-oriented.

Anyway, carry on, and I hope this brag helps somebody ?

• Like 26

On 10/8/2018 at 4:17 PM, GoodGrief1 said:

I'm hoping that this shameless parental brag actually serves the purpose of being encouraging to those wondering if they can adequately prepare their STEM-oriented kids for a challenging college program.

My daughter (in her junior year) was recently notified that she is in the top 1/8 of the engineering class at her school. It's pretty cool, not only because her classmates are generally quite bright and hard-working, but especially considering that her science and math background was somewhat advanced, but not particularly special. She worked through Apologia physics and chemistry, doing labs at a homeschool co-op class. She did AP Biology and AP Comp Sci with PA Homeschoolers. She used Teaching Textbooks through Alg 2, then Derek Owens for precalc and Calc AB, followed by Calc 2 and 3 at our local college. No math or science extracurriculars during high school; she was more sports and music-oriented.

Anyway, carry on, and I hope this brag helps somebody ?

Thanks for listing out the books/programs she used.  That was my first question when hearing your good news!

awesome!  My oldest daughter has a similar story (but no AP background) about homeschooling.  apologia at home. saxon with mfw lesson plans, etc. nothing special or anything by standards seen on this group. ECs were youth group and archery. nothing speculator.   Yet she learned how to learn.  She was motivated to do very well in university.  Graduated with 3 STEM degrees (electrical engineering, comp sci, math) in 4 calendar years from abet accredited. passed FE exam on first try within days of graduation ceremony.  And yes, she was in Tau Beta Pi (aka top 1/8 of engineering students).  hope my tag on brag encourages someone as well.

well done to you!  and hope your daughter has fun polishing the membership bent in TBP.  don't wait until night before.

• Like 5