Menu

Can someone from Columbus, Ohio help us?

Tenaj

My 24yodd just got a new job in Columbus which is not really far from us but none of us is very familiar with the city (except for the zoo-lol!).  Anyway, I was hoping someone could recommend some general areas to look for a one-bedroom apartment that would be a decent place in a relatively drama-free neighborhood.  Her new job is near the airport so it seems like the east side would be the place to aim?  

She's overwhelmed with all the choices and I thought the Hive might be able to narrow things down a bit.

Thanks for any help you can give.  Feel free to PM me if you have a suggestion for a specific apartment complex.

Edited by JanOH

Gahanna is a really nice area and close to the airport. It's more expensive though. From my experience of living in Columbus for 18 years at various places, most areas outside of downtown (and even some areas downtown!) and pretty nice and safe. 

161/71 area is pretty affordable but that's a place I'd stay away from as an exception to the above observations. 

• Like 1

Gahanna would be ideal for being close to the airport. 

Westerville would be my top choice because it's a college town (Otterbein) and has lots of options for apartments. It's also close to major freeways which would make getting anywhere in Columbus easy, and the airport would be 15-20 minutes away. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sheryl said:

Well, like most areas, it may depend on budget.  How far is she willing to drive 1-way to work?

She'd like to be as close as possible :)  How's that for a definite answer . . . not! 

She's been looking at apartments in Columbus in general and it appears that she's going to have to aim for $700-$800 for a decent one bedroom.  Does that seem reasonable?  That's significantly more than she's paying now but she's getting rent at a discount at the moment because she manages the apartment complex she works in.  She'd love to stay there but the commute is over an hour one way and she doesn't think she's willing to go from a commute that means walking across the parking lot to at least 2.5 hours a day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

It does really depend on her budget and the area she is working in. What part of town is she trying to target in terms of commute?  If it’s genuinely near/near the airport I’d be looking at Gahanna too, but that might be too pricy for her. I’d expect rent for a decent studio to be $700-900 a month, in that area.

We told her to look in Gahanna yesterday but she said there's not much available.  She's in the process of calling and emailing.  It's reassuring to hear that Gahanna would be a good area for her.  That price range seems to be the norm for Columbus.

2 hours ago, aaplank said:

Westerville would be my top choice because it's a college town (Otterbein) and has lots of options for apartments. It's also close to major freeways which would make getting anywhere in Columbus easy, and the airport would be 15-20 minutes away. 

Thank you for this!  I'll pass it on to her.  I'm sure that commute would be well within her range.

3 hours ago, aaplank said:

Westerville is lovely! We had friends who lived there for a while and it’s such a great place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JanOH said:

She'd like to be as close as possible ? How's that for a definite answer . . . not! 

She's been looking at apartments in Columbus in general and it appears that she's going to have to aim for $700-$800 for a decent one bedroom.  Does that seem reasonable?  That's significantly more than she's paying now but she's getting rent at a discount at the moment because she manages the apartment complex she works in.  She'd love to stay there but the commute is over an hour one way and she doesn't think she's willing to go from a commute that means walking across the parking lot to at least 2.5 hours a day.

How about New Albany, Jan? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, edelweiss said:

New Albany would be good location-wise, but I don't know if she could find anything in her budget there.  It is pricier than Gahanna and Westerville.  

Yes, I looked through some apartments that were available in New Albany.  A bit out of her price range probably.  She was spending time looking in Westerville last night.  We also found several that might work in Reynoldsburg.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JanOH said:

Yes, I looked through some apartments that were available in New Albany.  A bit out of her price range probably.  She was spending time looking in Westerville last night.  We also found several that might work in Reynoldsburg.

Hi Jan,  What about sharing the apt. with a roommate?  Or, for something temporary (perhaps) and immediate just renting a room in a house?  I wouldn't trust Craigslist but perhaps if there is word of mouth and/or meet the homeowner/s.  Not only would they interview her but she would interview them.   Johnstown is a bit further but I've always liked that little place.  If she wants a social life, that is not the place - too small and rural.  My native state is Ohio.  I was born and grew up in Ohio (yes, native Buckeye here!)  and this will probably age me but MAN HAS IT CHANGED!  There is sooooooooooooo much congestion now!  So much traffic!  That adds to the drive time as you already know. 

Worthington is a great area but has always been pricey.  Still, I know there are comments about how pricey an area is but that doesn't mean there are not diamonds in the rough waiting to be found.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sheryl said:

Hi Jan,  What about sharing the apt. with a roommate?  Or, for something temporary (perhaps) and immediate just renting a room in a house?  I wouldn't trust Craigslist but perhaps if there is word of mouth and/or meet the homeowner/s.  Not only would they interview her but she would interview them.   Johnstown is a bit further but I've always liked that little place.  If she wants a social life, that is not the place - too small and rural.  My native state is Ohio.  I was born and grew up in Ohio (yes, native Buckeye here!)  and this will probably age me but MAN HAS IT CHANGED!  There is sooooooooooooo much congestion now!  So much traffic!  That adds to the drive time as you already know. 

Worthington is a great area but has always been pricey.  Still, I know there are comments about how pricey an area is but that doesn't mean there are not diamonds in the rough waiting to be found.  

My DD is a complete introvert so I'm pretty sure that she would rather do the hour + commute rather than have a roommate -lol!  She's lived on her own now for about a year and a half and she likes it.  

• Like 1