Menu

Best Algebra Teaching--Derek Owens, Chalkdust, TT, Khan?

umsami

I loved the Chalkdust samples, but it's out of our budget.  We ended up trying TT for oldest and it works very well for her.  Middle kiddo has used both TT and BJU (text, not dvd) and wants to go back to TT.  They both like the explanations and that there is a walk through for every single problem.  I know it's not a favorite here, but that's my 2 cents. ?  We don't like Khan.  I find it confusing to use, honestly, and they didn't like the videos at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, umsami said:

So I found out that Dana Mosely (ChalkDust) is now thehttps://coolmathguy.com Cool Math Guy.  We're going to do a free one day trial and see what DS2 thinks.  Otherwise, it's $19.99/month or $150 for the course at one time.  DS2 enjoyed TT for Pre-Algebra, so we may try that.  

I didn't know about this.  Thanks for sharing!  ?

• Like 1

My son got a very good foundation in math with Chalk Dust. Chalk Dust Pre-calculus prepared him for college Calculus 1 and 2, which he took his senior year of high school at the university. He is now a math major (senior) and teaches lab classes at the university. Time truly flies by.

• Like 1

So I’m a bit confused by ChalkDust/coolmathguy.  Is this just a supplemental program to use as “tutoring” in addition to what we do at home on our own, or can this stand as a whole year course?  If so, do people use the books he recommends or what you have already planned on using.  I’m thinking of trying a free trial day....