Menu

When you've done your job TOO well (SC)

alisoncooks

SC = Santa Content. (LOL)

I think I had a thread last year asking if I should break the news to my youngest. I didn't -- she wanted to believe so I continued the magic. 

She's 10/5th grade. She is firm in her belief. Why? Because Santa has procured items that didn't even EXIST in stores! He MADE them. Oh boy, lol. I admit, I've gone to great lengths to find special items (hello, eBay), like the toy chihuahua that looks *just like* our fella that passed away.  Or the Harry Potter action figures that were collected piece meal through several online auctions.

All this is slightly tongue-in-cheek/jest. I just find it ironic that this kid will not take not-so-subtle hints about Santa's true identity...because I've been too good at my job. I'll be stuck doing this until she moves out, haha. 

What was the MOST AMAZING thing Santa ever did for your kiddos? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My kids were older than that, in spite of Santa never doing anything particularly amazing. I do think it's a willing suspension of disbelief in part, plus the magic of Christmas making them want to believe. 

One of my nephews tried to tell his little brother there was no Santa Claus, but he remained firm in his belief, because "mom and dad would never spend all that money!" ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We never did Santa at all.

But my dad was pretty committed when I was a kid.  Once he got up on the roof with some apples for the reindeer.  He had a bad back so this wasn't a casual thing.  I had pointed out that the reindeer were probably hungry too.

Anyway, the apples rolled off.  So he climbed down the ladder, cut them in half, took them back up.  Then in the middle of the night he went up and ate parts of them.

For my little sister, we were living in a posh-ish apartment when she was 3 - white carpet, indoor fireplace, etc.  He burned a fire in the fireplace, then after she went to bed stomped in the soot with his boots and marched around the living room making Santa tracks.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, moonflower said:

But my dad was pretty committed when I was a kid.  Once he got up on the roof with some apples for the reindeer.  He had a bad back so this wasn't a casual thing.  I had pointed out that the reindeer were probably hungry too.

Anyway, the apples rolled off.  So he climbed down the ladder, cut them in half, took them back up.  Then in the middle of the night he went up and ate parts of them.

? 

left foot prints of ashes on the carpet . . . . I did that one or two years when the girls were little.

I had to start keeping dudeling away from santa stuff as it was clear he was believing more than a little too much, and eventually confirmed santa wasn't real.   I did have to lecture him about NOT telling other little kids.

Last year we put some gouge marks on a carrot, then chucked it onto the porch roof (accessible via bedroom closet window). Those messy reindeer!

Actually we don't totally do Santa. Once a kid expresses serious doubt, we tell them that Santa is a fun game we all play. The carrot was part of the game and 1-2 kids understood what was going on.