Menu

The History of the Medieval World in a semester

Has anyone ever done this?  I plan on doing History of the Medieval World first semester and History of the Renaissance World second semester.  There are 5 parts with 85 chapters in HoMW, so if we did 5 chapters a week for the semester, we could get through the whole thing.  That might be too much for my 10th grader, with the corresponding questions and maps, so I was thinking 4 chapters a week, which would be 72, which means cutting out 13 chapters.  Is it better to cut out a few chapters from each of the 5 parts or to cut out a whole part?  Any thoughts or advice?  Thanks.    

If you have a very strong reader, or a student who speed-reads, and who loves History and reading, then I would guess it could be done. You are looking at a little over 1500 pages total for the 2 books, which is around 42 pages per week. Cutting some chapters would drop your total page count to maybe 1200-1300 pages. That's still between 32-35 pages a week. My thought: 32-35 pages of History will contain a TON of detail and info. Non-fiction informative reading usually requires more time for thinking about and digesting the info. Does your student *want* to go that in-depth? Will your student be able to retain it all? Or be able to filter/sort through it to retain just the 3-5 key events / ideas / people / connections per week? 

As far as cutting... I think that SWB has written her history books from the perspective of the interconnectedness of events, so cutting chapters out of the middle is likely to be very confusing for reading later on. I'd suggest that you just read and do the corresponding work at the natural pace that works for your student, and you'll get as far as you get at the end of the year and stop. That won't overload your student, and it won't require spending 10 hours a week on History and risk burning out your student or not spending the time really needed for other subjects.

Yes, that might mean you only get through the Medieval book. Or finish the Medieval book and get partway into the Renaissance book. Not a big deal. You can always enjoy finishing it on your own, or save it for the next year and keep going.

Just an observation: the end of a history book on a "chunk" of time is really an arbitrary stopping point in the big picture of events. So it's not going to be much different if you have a different arbitrary stopping point in the flow of history by stopping before the end of a book. (:D

Good luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Instead of cutting out chapters, why don't you just do the questions and map work for some, and then just read the others? If you have it on audio, and waste any time in the car, that's ideal! 

I agree with Lori that cutting out chapters gets very tricky, but that doesn't mean you have to go full metal jacket on every chapter. Pick couple every week to go more in-depth, others just listen and discuss as you go. Again, I cannot over-emphasize how much audio in the car will help with this! 

• Like 1

We have just purchased and my dd has begun the History of the Ancient World, and I've read the first few chapters (just for fun) and I would say...probably not a good idea to try to get through it that quickly...It's a pretty hefty tome...I mean, you can probably speed through it that quickly, but I'm not sure it would be worthwhile, but if you do, I guess it's better to cut out some chapters.  

As for what to cut out, I don't know....I mean, she keeps referencing previous ideas, people, places ....I think it would end up being a little confusing if you cut anything out.

We're trying it.  It may be a disaster but it was dd's idea and I am supporting her.  We are aiming for a chapter per weekday.  I do not have her answer all of the workbook questions.  Instead I have her read the chapter then jot down the answer to the four questions outlined in TWTM and answer the critical thinking question from the workbook.  I will even cut part of that out if time is short.  For us, history is about context and not memorizing dates, names, and facts.  I mostly want dd to be able to carefully read and reflect on each chapter.  We also can carry over into the next year if things take longer so there is not as much pressure.

• Like 1

My son (who has dyslexia) listened on Audible, and that way ‘read’ the books faster than a semester per book,  but he was not doing it  with corresponding map etc work. He was in 7th grade then, but quite advanced in history.

I think reading in the usual way that it would probably be too much even for a 10th grader without dyslexia. But I suggest you consider letting your student use Audible.