Menu

I Nee Help From Organized Moms, Please!

In July we moved into our 1900 House, a rental for the next several months while we look for something more permanent.

I am really struggling with clothes. There are 3 small closets in this house. Dh and I each have one, and the 3 boys share the largest.

IN the largest cloest, the bar is so high that only my 13 yo ds can reach it. So the littles (8 and 5) cannot hang up or get down clothes on their own.)

The boys share 2 dressers, and those are full with socks, undies, pajamas, underclothes, and t_shirts. Everything else is hung up in the closet.

Because the littles can't put things away on their own, older ds and I are left to do it. Consequently, it tends not to get done. (sigh...)

We're not allowed to make any big changes to the house, such as adding clothes rods, shelves, etc. I need ideas for a way that the boys can hang up their own clothes. Are there any sturdy, non-permanent options? What do those of you with large families in small houses do?

Thank you!

Hillary

Stepping stool was my idea too. My ds4 has one in his room so he can get down his own clothes, too. He wants to be independent so this is a perfect solution. It takes up hardly any space and he just pulls it out as needed.

If you needed a little more height you could do a small (but sturdy) step ladder, too!

We do not hang any of my son's clothes. I limit his clothes to the amount that will fit in his sock/underwear draw and two large drawers. Usually he doesn't have enough to fill one large drawer plus the sock/underwear drawer. If we have good clothes for any of the kids to hang, I do it in my closet. That is generally limited to one Sunday outfit.

I'll look for one of these at Target. I think the double hanging closet rod would take up less space, but this may work as well. Thanks!