Menu

Favorite "ancient" homeschooling materials

homemommy83

Hive,

What are your favorite programs that were written before the 2000s as far back as the beginning of time??  

Okbud got me thinking about my love affair with old time programs? and I wondered if I am the only one whom just loves reprints of classic old textbooks and programs.

My choices are:

Considering God's Creation

Primary and Intermediate Language Lessons

Alphaphonics

I am hoping to get a reprint of the original McGuffeys for us to use in the near future.

Brenda

• Like 1

Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons.  It's how I learned how to read (DISTAR) and how I taught my kids. ?
Grammarland
Math U See (how old is that? I have no idea)
Jackdaws

My youngest is/will be using:
Elson readers
Spencerian cursive
Dictation Day By Day
Gattegno math
Writing Strands

We've enjoyed all but the last, but I have high hopes. ? It was not a good fit with the first child.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons.  It's how I learned how to read (DISTAR) and how I taught my kids. ?
Grammarland
Jackdaws

Elson readers
Spencerian cursive
Dictation Day By Day
Gattegno math
Writing Strands

We've enjoyed all but the last, but I have high hopes. ? It was not a good fit with the first child.

I had never thought TYCtRin100EL was old....now I am being dated...lol.  I love that book!  I have never heard of the math....off to research.  

I am chilling as my 2 toddlers are very sick laying in my arms....so today is a teacher research day?.  

Brenda

I have used:

Ray's Arithmetic 

Webster's Speller with 1828 dictionary (dictionary used with discretion)

McGuffey Readers (used very selectively - watch for racism, xenophobia, overly punitive attitudes toward children including shame and fear based instruction, outdated science and geography info, etc.)

Elson Readers (ditto, but far less; the focus is more on classical/traditional literature than on moralizing - if you want old school lit, IMO these are much better than McGuffey)

Harvey's Grammar (I prefer R&S by far, but eldest ds used Harvey's before I became aware of R&S)

Primary and Intermediate Language Lessons

Machen's Greek

Henle Latin (MP has written lesson plans and support materials to make this accessible to hs'ers, but they really do use the old text and grammar)

• Like 4

Overall homeschool help
- The Well-Trained Mind -- 1st edition, published 1999, which was a HUGE help in getting us started homeschooling in fall of 2000 (however, SWB has done a fantastic job of revising and adding topics and curricula suggestions, so best to go with the newest edition (:D )

Math
- Miquon Math -- 1960s
- Jacobs Algebra 1 -- 1979
- Jacobs Geometry (2nd ed, which is the best version for proofs) -- 1987

Language Arts
- reading - Ginn Basic Readers (graded classroom readers, gr. 1-6) -- 1950s-60s
- reading - vintage children's anthologies: Collier's Junior Classics Young Folk Shelf of Books, My Book House, The Children's Hour, Journeys Through Bookland, etc (great selections of classic poetry, folktales/fairytales, and classics of lit.)
- handwriting - Handwriting Without Tears -- first made for her son in late 1970s
- writing - Wordsmith Apprentice -- originally created pre-2000, and up to 3rd ed. now; still fun for phobic writers!
- grammar - Winston Grammar -- even the revised edition we used was published pre-2000; a great hands-on approach for VSL or non-traditional learners!

Geography
- Beautiful Feet Geography Guide & Map Pack to go with the Holling C. Holling books -- the Holling books were published 1941-51, and I'm pretty sure the guide & maps were created in the 1990s; such a wonderful geography study and opportunity for exploring/researching and ideas for short writing paragraphs; we made a great "lap book" out of this study

Music
- 9-Note Recorder by Penny Gardner -- 1998 was the 1st edition; it has since been revised; still a fantastic self-teaching book for learning the recorder

No personal experience with it, but the Greenleaf History Guides (Famous Men of Greece/Rome) where first published in 1989 and are still going strong...

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Grammarland
Jackdaws

Elson readers
Spencerian cursive
Dictation Day By Day
Gattegno math
Writing Strands

I had never thought TYCtRin100EL was old....now I am being dated...lol.  I love that book!  I have never heard of the math....off to research.  

The Gattengo math looks great...I love the use of the rods!

Brenda

• Like 2

Just now, homemommy83 said:

The Gattengo math looks great...I love the use of the rods!

Brenda

DS watched one of the videos with me on Youtube and was so intrigued that it actually made him want to use the blocks that have been collecting dust in our house. ?  He's nearing the end of elementary math but we started with Gattegno book 1 this summer and he is loving it.  I think we're going to continue through the fall, doing the book once a week while doing his regular math the other 4 days. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Grammarland
Jackdaws

Elson readers
Spencerian cursive
Dictation Day By Day
Gattegno math
Writing Strands

I have been researching Gattengo all afternoon!  I am so excited...I can't believe I am adding a math program....but I am BEYOND EXCITED to do this program with ALL of my kids as family school.  I haven't been this excited about a homeschool program since we used MFW Kindergarten-Adventures with Considering Gods Creation....I have been mentally tired.  While I have loved Fred and he will continue in our lives?...this program is something all of my students will love to explore together.  Thank you so much for showing me this.  Is there a place that I can print all of this off from or do I need to purchase reprints?  

I will buy 4 sets of Cuisenaire rods ASAP!...It will come out of my home budget....I am giving up my fall candles...every month I get a little splurge money....fall is my favorite candle time so this is saying ALOT!

This is the epitome of a Charlotte Mason math curriculum...jfyi?

Brenda

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, homemommy83 said:

I have been researching Gattengo all afternoon!  I am so excited...I can't believe I am adding a math program....but I am BEYOND EXCITED to do this program with ALL of my kids as family school.  I haven't been this excited about a homeschool program since we used MFW Kindergarten-Adventures with Considering Gods Creation....I have been mentally tired.  While I have loved Fred and he will continue in our lives?...this program is something all of my students will love to explore together.  Thank you so much for showing me this.  Is there a place that I can print all of this off from or do I need to purchase reprints?  

I will buy 4 sets of Cuisenaire rods ASAP!...It will come out of my home budget....I am giving up my fall candles...every month I get a little splurge money....fall is my favorite candle time so this is saying ALOT!

This is the epitome of a Charlotte Mason math curriculum...jfyi?

Brenda

? 
Fred's well loved here, too.  He's part of our regular math.  I'm glad you like Gattegno, too! ?   I found out about it on here a while back and I bookmarked it right away.  I haven't found a way to download books 1 & 2.  I read them online but I'm seriously considering buying the set of reprints.  DS has a year left of elementary math but I think we'll have a lot of fun going through them.  The best part is the explosion in discovery math that it created.  He's my perfectionist.  He absorbs, figures it out, and then gives output.  But this gives him the 'license' to play more.  He is starting to do all the Montessori-like activities I tried to introduce 3 or 4 years ago.
The one change we made - in our set the 4 rod is purple, not pink.  The books call it pink for some reason.?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HomeAgain said:

? 
Fred's well loved here, too.  He's part of our regular math.  I'm glad you like Gattegno, too! ?   I found out about it on here a while back and I bookmarked it right away.  I haven't found a way to download books 1 & 2.  I read them online but I'm seriously considering buying the set of reprints.  DS has a year left of elementary math but I think we'll have a lot of fun going through them.  The best part is the explosion in discovery math that it created.  He's my perfectionist.  He absorbs, figures it out, and then gives output.  But this gives him the 'license' to play more.  He is starting to do all the Montessori-like activities I tried to introduce 3 or 4 years ago.
The one change we made - in our set the 4 rod is purple, not pink.  The books call it pink for some reason.?

I think the reprints will be worth the money here....so I will slowly get them as I am able.  Book 1 here I come.  I like holding a book.

Brenda

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, homemommy83 said:

I think I will get one set of the algebricks instead of cuisenaire rods as it what the program is based on and has enough for many students?

Same thing, yeah? ?   From the Educational Solutions site:
" Eventually, Gattegno started the Cuisenaire Company promoting the use of the rods as a visible and tangible way for children to express mathematical ideas. Many people still refer to the rods, which we call Algebricks, as Cuisenaire Rods. "

?  Our set looks rather like their box.  It was an old set that our teacher supply store scrounged up and has a 1980's look to it all, like it had been rescued from an old storage bin.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Same thing, yeah? ?   From the Educational Solutions site:
" Eventually, Gattegno started the Cuisenaire Company promoting the use of the rods as a visible and tangible way for children to express mathematical ideas. Many people still refer to the rods, which we call Algebricks, as Cuisenaire Rods. "

?  Our set looks rather like their box.  It was an old set that our teacher supply store scrounged up and has a 1980's look to it all, like it had been rescued from an old storage bin.

That is them....how exciting!

After reading all of his information and reading the entire 1st textbook?  I just don't understand why this program isn't more popular....it is awesome for family studies as it is so guided exploration based.  It fits Montessori and Charlotte Mason ideals.

Brenda

Edited by homemommy83
Little kids on my lap...lol
  • Like 1

Older stuff we've used over the years (dusting the cobwebs off my memories): 

KONOS - *sniffle* I miss those days.

Primary Language Lessons + Intermediate Language Lessons (actually getting ready to break out ILL again for my 6th grader in a couple of months)

Ambleside Online (we only used it for a couple of years, but I probably should've stuck with it...just panicked once we hit high school and went in a completely different direction)

McGuffey Readers - yeah, these can be a little weird, but we read through several of them.  It got my kids reading.

That Noah Webster spelling book...can't remember the name of it...I used that with three of my kids when they were first reading.

Miquon, HWOT, Easy Grammar...all of my kids used those at one point.

• Like 2