Menu

Let's pretend we could visit one historical site per state

I guess if I had to pick one in TN it would be The Hermitage which was Andrew Jackson's home. It is neat to visit and the tours are very interesting. It is in Nashville. Then, of course, Memphis has Graceland!:D There are just so many Civil War battlefields here that it would make a great destination while studying that period in history.

We've talked about doing the life of Washington, starting down here at GW's Birthplace, the next day, Fredericksburg for Ferry Farms and finishing at Mt. Vernon.

VA--Either Jamestown or

Mt. Vernon.

Mt. Vernon has a new visitor's center that is phenomenal. Then you could stop by George Washington's Church and see me! lol

In a state like VA, it's so hard to pick just one...

Fredericksburg has a lot to offer - so does Williamsburg and Jamestown. The new visitor center at Mt. Vernon is amazing!

We love so many places here, but if I had to just pick one (that wasn't already picked!), I would pick Appomattox Courthouse.

And I have to throw this one in for upstate New York because I just love it - Genesse Country Village and Museum.

There's not an Oklahoma site on here! For historical sites, I would have to suggest either Woolaroc/Bartlesville or all the Cherokee Heritage sites in Tahlequah as my first picks, although the town of Guthrie would be good, too. Oh, and there's the Will Rogers Memorial Museum in Claremore.

http://www.woolaroc.org/

http://www.cherokeeheritage.org/

And be sure to visit the creepy mortuary museum just outside the cemetery!!!!

Yeah, that's the place my mother wanted to go visit just after I had my cancer surgery. NOT the place to visit if there's a chance you're sick!

Other than that, it's a fascinating place. Just be aware that it's not open on Mondays.

South Carolina, the battlement

North Carolina, Cherokee Res.

Virginia, Williamsburg

Pennsylvania, Philly

New York, NYC, the Brooklyn Bridge, and the Statue of Liberty

Florida, the Space Station

Wyoming, Yellowstone National Park (been there, but as a child)

Washington, Mt Rainier and St. Helens

Guam, the caves and Talafofo Falls

Wisconsin, Fond du Lac

Missouri, Meramac Caverns and the Arch

Tennessee, Nashville

South Dakota, Crazy Horse Memorial

Oklahoma, Cherokee Heritage Center

New Mexico, the shops and open air markets in Albuquerque and Santa Fe

California, San Diego Zoo

The Ohio Historical Center is very good, too. "Described by the 1989 Smithsonian Guide to Historic America as "probably the finest museum in America devoted to pre-European history," the Ohio Historical Center is both the headquarters of the Ohio Historical Society and a museum facility showcasing Ohio's history from the ice age to the year 1970."

:driving::auto: You guys have all made me want to go on vacation!!!

For Missouri, I'd choose the Churchill Memorial in Fulton http://www.churchillmemorial.org/ Here's an excerpt from the "About Us" page:

Welcome to the Winston Churchill Memorial and Library in the United States at Westminster College. The Memorial is located on the college campus in Fulton, Missouri, the site of Churchill's famous "Iron Curtain" speech. The Memorial was founded in 1969 to honor the life and legacy of one of the greatest leaders of the twentieth century. It is housed within the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Aldermanbury, a 12th century church from the middle of London, redesigned by Sir Christopher Wren in 1677, that was relocated to Fulton. The undercroft of this beautiful and historic Wren church is a museum filled with a priceless treasury of artifacts and information relating to the life and times of Sir Winston Churchill.

Chelle

Edited by Chelle in MO