Menu

Recipe needed for a good GF cupcake; vegan as well is a plus

Ginevra

I have committed to making cupcakes for my parent’s anniversary party this weekend, but also need to make a small recipe of GF cupcakes, too. If they are also Vegan, so much the better as one of my sisters is V. 

For the main cupcakes, I plan to use my extremely reliable Hersheys Perfectly Chocolaty cupcake recipe, so if the GF recipe is also chocolate, that would be handy, though not crucial. 

Thanks! 

I don't bake, so I don't have any recipe advice.  (Sorry.)

You might do better to find a local bakery that sells gf cupcakes.

GF baking is really hard, especially if you have flour in your kitchen from your Hershey's cupcakes.  I can get really sick from cross contamination.

Also, most people who are gf will be happy with any good cupcake.  It doesn't have to be chocolate.  ? -- In fact, it might be better if they looked completely different so there would be no mix-ups.

31 minutes ago, Junie said:

I don't bake, so I don't have any recipe advice.  (Sorry.)

You might do better to find a local bakery that sells gf cupcakes.

GF baking is really hard, especially if you have flour in your kitchen from your Hershey's cupcakes.  I can get really sick from cross contamination.

Also, most people who are gf will be happy with any good cupcake.  It doesn't have to be chocolate.  ? -- In fact, it might be better if they looked completely different so there would be no mix-ups.

Yeah, but I don’t have any actual celiacs who want the gf cupcakes; it’s a preference thing. Otherwise, sure I would go to whatever lengths to be sure they were not cross-contaminated. This being the case, I don’t want to add an extra task to my agenda of picking up the GF cupcakes from the baker. 

My main feeling about the chocolate is that I think cocoa forgives a multitude of other GF taste transgressions! ? 

• Like 1

Hodgson Mills has good GF cake mixes, and so does Kroger. The Hodgson Mill mixes have very few ingredients--not a lot of fillers and gunk. The yellow cake mix can be made into yellow cake or chocolate--they put measurements on the back to convert it to a chocolate cake.

NOTE: The Hodgson Mills mix needs a little more liquid than the box calls for--I always add just a little more milk.

Don't make your poor GF people eat vegan too unless they are inclined that way...it gets old being deprived of things I can eat just because it's "easier" to lump me in with vegans. Maybe there are products that taste good for GF and vegan together, but I haven't experienced too much of that, and there are a lot of vegan things that I really do NOT like. I also try to avoid much soy, and a lot of vegan stuff is full of soy.

The usual caveats about cross-contamination apply...I would definitely do something to make the GF cupcakes look different if you go with the same flavor. 

• Like 2

Get a mix.  I agree Hodgson Mills is the best one, both in terms of not having additives, but also not using bean flour (with gassy side effects).  I know there are egg replacers in health food stores you can use instead of the eggs. Some people use ground flax seed and water instead, and you can find recipes for that on google. Add 25% more fat than the box calls for (I get the most compliments on extra virgin coconut oil, but for some reason small children don't seem to like this, though adults LOVE it. You can use canola oil instead. You can also make with almond milk or water instead of milk to make vegan. To the box mix add 3/4-1 cup unsweetened applesauce. This is because as written GF recipes are dry.  I also typically add a couple extra tablespoons of Hershey's Dark Cocoa Powder to a Chocolate mix or extra vanilla to a yellow cake mix.

I asked here a few weeks ago about dairy free frostings and ended up finding one GF DF Vegan option in the health food section of a large grocery store that was made from coconut oil instead of shortening.  The adults loved it.  Little kids didn't.  Kids over 3 who'd had coconut oil before also loved it.

Several people here also recommended making a faux buttercream out of Earth Balance buttery spread, which is vegan, but I haven't tried that yet. Watch the powdered sugar though, on rare occasions I've found modified food starch in it instead of corn starch (which isn't GF).

• Thanks 1

I LOVE this is chocolate cake recipe, it is not a mix but uses Bob's Redmill 1 to 1 flour, which fwiw doesn't use bean flour either and is easy to find. I've served it at various events and it is always adored by everyone, it is absolute heaven with some cream cheese frosting and cherries!

This recipe isn't vegan, she does, however, have a vegan adaptation, I've not tried it because the regular one is divine and I'm not vegan ?

Good luck! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1